Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 am

Post subject: Terrible Undergrad Transcript and wanting to apply for MBA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:57 pm 

So who's done this and succeed? Or if you work in the admissions of an school's MBA department, how difficult would you say is the conquest of a student who barely graduated with his undergrad degree, to get into a good MBA program? I'm not talking about the top 10 schools in the nation or the bottom 50%, just schools with valued accredidations that might be know regionally, but not nationally.

I did too much partying and not enough studying to graduate on time and got inconsistent grades in my 4 year journey, but I graduated none-the-less. Stupid move on my part.

So I'm just wondering if anyone's has been in my shoe? Because I'm currently in transition to studying for the GMATs and applying for grad school in 2013 and would like some advice/opinions from people who've done it or who've seen others.

I do have business experience, I work for the public sector (yea...nothing special) so I do have the recommended 2 to 3 years of business experience before applying for grad programs. But my educational background is just too sloppy.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Terrible Undergrad Transcript and wanting to apply for M
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm 

My suggestion are to

1. Make sure you do exceptionally well on the GMAT;
2. Work on your writing so that it is very professional;
3. Develop a solid resume;
4. Consider doing volunteering or similar community service.

Colleges look for signs that prospective students are willing to work hard and succeed. If you have a history of being a slacker then you need to demonstrate that you have actually changed. No one is going to believe you if you just say you have. Be able to prove it.

You could also consider taking a few graduate classes as a "non-degree" graduate student and making sure you get A's in them. Remember, in a graduate class, A is expected, B is what you get from a professor who doesn't want to give you a C, C is essentially the same as failing.

Good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 pm 

I went to City University of Seattle (http://www.cityu.edu) and will graduate this June with an MBA. I did my whole degree online, and it was paid for out of pocket, no student loans :) It did take me four years, but it is well worth the cost. I have a Bachelors in General Studies (psychology/english focs, psychology minor) and was able to get into the program no problems at all, with an average GPA (about 3.0). Also, I had never taken a business course prior to applying for the degree. I will graduate with above a 3.5 GPA. If I were you, I'd consider it. They have satellite campuses all over the world, a very easy program, and if you go full time, you can complete it in two years.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 pm 

When admissions offices give dodgy answers like "We always evaluate the whole application package, and no single factor is weighed above the others", they mean it. The previous posters gave good advice. Write excellent essays and let lots of people read them (I worked on mine for 4-6 months, constantly improving, with 5-10 people helping out with each one). You can even write one about how one of your regrets is poor time mangagement in UG.

The number one factor in MBA admissions is your ability to craft a consistent story, expressed throughout your whole application package, that demonstrates how the MBA is right for you at this point in your life. You don't want to come across as just applying to do something different or because your friends are or because you don't like your job... you need to express what the MBA will equip you to do, what dreams it will help you follow, etc. Your story might be how transitioning from UG to the working world has revealed to you the importance of working very hard, how you regret not doing it back then, but you've been a rock star at work by doing X, Y, and Z.

Dominate the GMAT to demonstrate your intellectual potential - that never hurts either! With a low GPA you probably want to score in the top quartile for whatever schools you apply to. If your GPA and GMAT are both below, then you're going to have an uphill struggle getting admitted. In that case you typically need a very inspiring story, or to have overcome major hardships, or to have amazing military/international experiences so that admitting you adds great diversity to the classroom.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:37 pm 

I used to teach for a GMAT prep company, so I have a lot of experience seeing people apply to MBA programs. Honestly, it really does come down to your entire package. It also depends on what you are looking for. I know many people who went to lesser known schools but still went on to very successful careers.

For me, I scored in the 99th percentile for the verbal and I had a high GPA and excellent work history and references. But I decided to go to a local (but solid) MBA program. The fees were lower - $30k back then, compared to the $100k plus living costs and opportunity costs if I'd gone to Harvard or Sloan. But, more importantly, I was able to stay in the work force and keep consulting. At the end of two years, I had an MBA *and* two more years of work experience. I was able to test and apply what I was learning as I went along. It was like doing lab work with business concepts. Also, I was not intending to leave the area. So it is fantastic to have a network made up of people in my own city - although many have moved to other places, taking my network there too. Many of the people in my class have gone on to very high ranked positions. So, honestly, don't rule out the mid-tier programs.

If your undergrad transcript is truly terrible, you could try doing an undergrad or post-bac certificate. It will show you've matured, if you get good grades.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:53 am 

Yup... The safest bet here is to present yourself as a candidate that doesn't test well.... Who performs well in the real world and not so much in academia.

Work like crazy on studying for exams, preparing essays and resumes, and network with everyone and anyone who'll talk to you.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am 

flinch13 wrote:
Yup... The safest bet here is to present yourself as a candidate that doesn't test well.... Who performs well in the real world and not so much in academia.

Work like crazy on studying for exams, preparing essays and resumes, and network with everyone and anyone who'll talk to you.

I agree w/ flinch13. It's all about presentation. MBA programs are looking for well-rounded individuals. They will look at Experience, GPA, GMAT, Your Interview, Resume, Essays, References, Community Involvmenet, etc. I barely graduated with a 3.0 GPA from college. Did a whole lot better in the MBA program. Work your butt off and you'll be fine.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 am 

The OP hasn't logged in since his post in February. While this is by no means conclusive, it may be an indicator of his success in getting into a good program. No follow-up.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill