dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Is College worth it.

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:01 am

Post subject: Re: Is College worth it.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
I gotta say it...

While the bundled numbers clearly support the point that college is extremely conducive to employment, let's also note that, while statistics are harder to come by, I have no doubt that a large fraction of the baggage handlers and taxi drivers with degrees actually have degrees in art, art history, philosophy, and so forth. Those are perfectly worthwhile degrees for self fulfillment but the job prospects are not so hot. And then there are the degrees from diploma mills.

Again, in my view a degree does not guarantee anything. It still takes hard work and sacrifice to get anywhere. But you are still far better off with a degree in a well respected field from a well respected, accredited institution than you are without one.

This is the crux of the matter. I wonder if there are statistics out there for people with "employable" degrees, as opposed to art history, philosophy, and the like.

I sure don't know any of my fellow engineering graduates who think college wasn't worth it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 pm 

I always like to start with the end in mind.

So what do you want?

Once you answer that question then you'll know if college is necessary. I wouldn't get a degree just for the heck of it (unless you love school.)

You may think this is oversimplified.. but it's really not, because until you know what you want to do, you don't know what it's going to take to get there.

Good luck! Dee :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:30 pm 

rickyjo wrote:
Online learning is full of possibilities for saving time and money. The degrees are well recognized now-a-days assuming you choose the right school. I got my degree with only a couple actual college classes, the rest was testing, ACE reviewed training (colleges may or may not accept this, so decide on the college before you take any ACE reviewed tests or training), and a handful of other sources. I

Good point. While I don't agree with you on how useful college education is, online education does have its perks.

I just found a way to get a Bachelor of Commerce degree from a well respected university online over two years - after they count my entrepreneurial experience as "life experience" towards entrance requirements. Bachelor degree in two years without losing my income and having to relocate? Sounds like a dream. Does cost a good coin ($12,000) will I see this money come back tenfold in a shape of higher income and better life quality? You bet.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 pm 

I def think that college is a must have and 100% worth it. Like rickyjo said, I do agree that online education is another alternative if you are unable to attend a live university for whatever reason and that online education is a perfect way to complete your degree on your own time and in a more specialized manner. If you're wanting to be a CFO then yes you will need a degree, probably multiple degrees but like others have said I believe its all about networking and using the resources you are given in college in order to set yourself up for opportunities following graduation. I went into the Health industry and instantly I found multiple resources and groups that in order to network with professionals and study outside of the classroom on something I would be interested in getting involved with as a career. Finding a program that is right for you is key and if you're interested in the health field check out [spam removed] which offers plenty of options in regards career opportunities, length to complete your degree, salary expectations etc.

For those who say college is not worth the money is out of their mind. It's the one piece of paper that can take you as far as you'd like it to in life and if you set yourself up on the right path and in the right programs, you can find a job in any profession you would like.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
trace wrote:
I have been a Chef for over 10 years now. I am 32 and about 1 year into my bachelors degree. I want to work with anything that will pay me to travel. Cruise Lines, Hotels.com, a CFO would be were I want to go. I want out of the Kitchen.
My question is this. Is college were I need to be. Is it worth it. Where do I start when I get my degree and have been nothing but a Chef for years.

You will have 0 chance of becoming a CFO without a bachelor's degree and you will likely need an MBA for that position as well.

I do not think college is necessary for everyone, though it is becoming that way. But with your stated goals, yes, you will need a college degree.

I also think so!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm 

College is important. I attended an average private university and got a degree in business administration with a 3.0 GPA. :D Tried for years to get out of retail but it wasn't until I got my MBA (and started networking more) that companies in other industries began looking at me. Of course, this meant going slow (started taking 1 class a semester) and working (40-60 hours a week at times with 2 jobs) throughout my MBA degree (took 5.5 years but graduated with no school debt).

If considering business: A) Pursue a degree in accounting or finance instead of the ever popular management/marketing. B) Also consider that not all degrees are created the same. A degree from TCU, A&M, or UT wouldn't be considered in the same category as Texas College or Texas Southern University. The level of education and networking from the two school categories would also be different.

If you pursue a college degree keep in mind that companies are looking for something that sets you apart. Potential employers are not just looking at your GPA but a person that will fit into their company culture (Small Business or Corporation). They will also consider experience, interests, causes, and of course work ethic. Having a strong interview and knowing about the company is helpful as well. :talk:

In any case that's my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:34 am 

As rightly said in one of the above posts, college is an opportunity, if you make complete use of it, it is totally worth it. You need to make use of every resource and facility available to you for learning. So its totally in your hands what you want to make of it.

Code:
Life Insurance Anaheim

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 am 

This topic is very relative, on every profession.

I am a Sofware Engineer here in Argentina, and I can say to you that (at least for this profession) you really don't need a degree to be a good professional. Technologies change SO fast that college is not sufficient to teach everything you need to know, so you must start learning by yourself all the latest stuff that applies to your work area.

The only big difference is how high you can get on a corporation, if you want management and leading areas, then the college degree will help you to achieve the goal with ease. Else you can still get there, but will cost more time and effort.

If I had to start over, I won't choose College for this profession, all that time spent studying useless signatures, I would use it studying the most important things that will make me a better professional, but that's only my opinion.

Regards!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm 

jamescruz wrote:
As rightly said in one of the above posts, college is an opportunity, if you make complete use of it, it is totally worth it. You need to make use of every resource and facility available to you for learning. So its totally in your hands what you want to make of it.

That is true. For example, if you're a Psychology major, I don't think you'd learn everything that you need to know just by taking an online course. How on earth would you know for sure that all the experiments and research you're doing are right without the guidance of a professor and have the help of co-majors?

For business related courses though, I think you can learn that online, though going to college for that can help you with some other perks such as getting introduced to companies, getting more access to conventions that you could learn from, and the like.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3