dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Inexpensive cookware in NYTimes

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 pm 

morydd wrote:
I'm probably going to take the knife skills class soon. Both my wife and the instructor are pressuring me. :)

I've done a couple of classes and used the various knives, I was surpised how much I liked the Santoku style chef's knife. We have 2 good 8" chef's knifes and a 6" santoku. While I like the heft of the chef's knives there's other things I liked tha santoku better for. I didn't think I'd like the santoku style chef's knives, but I really did. My wife has had the chance to use one of the ceramic blade knives and said it's a wonder. She said cutting onions with it was like cutting through warm butter. We'll probably get one of those eventually. (I'm terrified of dropping it... or cutting off my finger. Maybe I should take the class first.)

Buying a set is silly. You'll get several knives you'll probably rarely touch. A good paring knife, and a good chef's knife will probably be all you need for most things. The santoku and the bread knife are the only other knifes that see regular use in our kitchen.

Maybe GRS should have a cooking section. Seems to be a hobby that many of us share.

My tip of the week: Make meatloaf in muffin tins. It provides portion control and faster cooking. (Also, Hoisin sauce is great on meatloaf).

Hoisin sauce--good idea, I'll try it. I've been using a dash of soy in pasta sauce and meat loaf lately, but hoisin might give things more of a bite.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:59 am 

Started to do a bit of shopping around for a thermometer. Found a digital one with a remote probe for about $15 at Canadian Tire. Will have to go check it out. Also visited a local Corning "outlet" store. I was surpirsed to find an analog thermometer listed for over $20 there. Their digital model was going for over $40. I guess this area of the market is similar to cell phone accessories. You really have to shop around for pricing, or you can get fleeced.

squished

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I'm baffled — baffled, I tell you! — by the "I found a digital thermometer at Canadian Tire" line. You have an automotive store that sells cooking supplies?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Canadian Tire is kind of like Fred Meyer... not exactly like it, but similar.

For the Canadians out there, check your local Winners for inexpensive cookware... I've found a few bargains there.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:55 pm 

jdroth wrote:
You have an automotive store that sells cooking supplies?

I was thinking the same thing. They probably recommend you change your oil with a turkey baster and keep your cooling rack up on jackstands. Just remember not to fry your tater tots in synthetic!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:55 am 

You Americans are too much...really, you're killing me.

Great, I've probably started another one of those Canadian legends that make our southern neighbours incredulous. "You mean you don't all live in igloos?" "KETCHUP chips?!?"

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:51 am 

So a few days ago went out and bought the digital thermometer. Got the $20 model.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672150&bmUID=1180100866819&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443293185&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

One thing I find handy is that it has magnets on the back. This means I keep it stuck to the fridge. If I had to stick it in a drawer somewhere, I think I'd be a lot less likely to use it. So far, used it on steak and it does the job quite nicely.

squished

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:52 pm 

Once upon a time, silicone was a magical material that you could only purchase through expensive distributors like Pampered Chef. These days, keep an eye out for this space-age material at your local dollar store. Our local Dollarama will sell you a pair of silicone basting brushes for a buck, and that's a Canadian loonie! Go into your local department store and you'll likely still find them hawking these things for $8 or $9 a piece.

Also at the local dollar store are a wide assortment of nylon cooking utensils. You can get your ladles, slotted spoons, and flippers for a dollar each. Each is dishwasher-safe, safe on non-stick cookware, and look just fine in black with faux-metal handles. You can rest easy bringing them with you to potluck dinners because even if you leave it behind, it's not a big loss!

I realized how times have changed when my fiance pulled out an old box of her grandmothers things and found a stash of old cooking utensils. Someone intended them to be heirlooms, I guess. Now it's just not worth it to even store these things.

squished

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've probably started another one of those Canadian legends that make our southern neighbours incredulous

My brother's in-laws live in Grande Prairie. He filled me in on Canadian Tire.

Speaking of Canadian legends: my wife and I took our honeymoon in Victoria, B.C. in 1993. While there, we were amazed and the variety of foodstuffs available with new and unique flavors that we couldn't find in the U.S. Blueberry candies and gum? Count me in! On our way home, we stopped at a grocery store in Vancouver and spent some ungodly amount of cash on Canadian junk food. We brought home ten bags of "Texas tang" Doritoes, which to this day are the best flavor of that chip I've ever found. Unfortunately, I don't think they're available anywhere nowadays. sigh

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2