Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 am

Post subject: Fun & Inexpensive Activities
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Here are some ideas for inexpensive/free activities that won’t break the bank. Hope you enjoy!

1. At Home:

Play a Board Game Together – Inexpensive/Free – Monopoly, Scrabble, Clue, Chess are always classics.

Dinner and Dancing at Home – Inexpensive/Free – Cook together and then spend the evening dancing.

Have a Movie Marathon – Lord of the Rings, Bourne, Star Wars, or even just a few good chick flicks.

Home Picnic – Inexpensive/Free – If the weather doesn’t cooperate have your spread on the living room floor!

Work on a Puzzle Together – Inexpensive/Free – 100, 500, or 1000+ pieces. Good fun that can take hours (literally).

2. Outside Activities:

Go on a Picnic – Inexpensive/Free – Sandwich makings, some fruit, juice, and a little dessert make a great outing!

Go for A Moonlight Walk – Free – Romantic, fun, and costs nothing.

Go Hiking – Free – For those more physically inclined who love the outdoors.

Go Rock Climbing – Inexpensive/Free – For those with adventurous spirits and the gear rock climbing can be great fun.

Go for A Bike Ride – Free – For those more physically inclined who love the outdoors but rather ride something. Miles of fun!

Fly a Kite – Inexpensive/Free – Buy it the first time. Then enjoy those windy days!

Play a Sport Together – Free – For those more physically inclined who love sports. Basketball, Racquetball, Tennis, or Golf are always fun.

Live Music – Inexpensive/Free – Some great little known bands out there at restaurants and/or bars.

Botanical Gardens – Free – Enjoy nature in your local city.

Go to a Park and Throw a Frisbee – Inexpensive/Free – What great fun. Frisbee golf is always an option if you have more than one Frisbee.

Walk the Dog – Free – Take your pup to a park and have a blast!

People Watching – Free – At a local park or even the mall (I know that’s not outside but…)

3. Shop:

Test Drive Vehicles – Free – It’s great to dream and even drive various vehicles. Just don’t get suckered into a deal.

Go House Shopping – Free – Once again it’s great to dream. Just don’t get suckered into a deal.

Garage Sales – Inexpensive – Find good deals and hidden gems.

Thrift Stores – Inexpensive – Used yet nice. Good way to save money.

$10 Challenge – Inexpensive – See who can get the best deals/values for under $10. Or better yet. Go to a store like half price books and see what you can get for $10 then leave after purchasing nothing. Great way to get to know someone else’s tastes.

Go Get Ice Cream – Inexpensive – Instead of going out to eat and paying $10-$30 a plate eat at home. Then go out for yummy ice cream!

Antique Shops – Inexpensive/Free – Never know what treasures might be waiting. Don’t have the cash? Don’t buy anything.

4. Relatively Inexpensive:

Go Bowling – Inexpensive – A fund night at the bowling alley!

Go Roller Skating – Inexpensive – Music, skating, fun. What else is needed?

Go Ice Skating – Inexpensive – Dress warm. Just don’t break a leg!

Volunteer Together – Free – Help a local charity, tutor some kids, volunteer at a local church or community center.

Breakfast/Brunch at Home and a Matinee – Inexpensive – Enjoy each other’s company and save by going to a show during the day.

Art Exhibit – Inexpensive/Free – What is going on downtown?

Museum – Inexpensive/Free – What is going on downtown?

Sports Teams – Inexpensive – Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Baseball are all great fun. And you don’t have to do the whole “professional” thing. Try the local high schools or college. Or if that doesn’t appeal try the local sports-bar.

Go to the Local Library – Free – Great fun to read together at say Barnes & Noble. Great for movie rentals too. If they don’t have what you want order it and pick it up in a few days.

Make a Time Capsule – Inexpensive/Free – Write down what you’re doing today and open it all up in 10 years.

Color or Draw – Inexpensive/Free – Make or color pictures together. Abstract or more realistic. What’s your style?

Thoughts? Anything to add to the list?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Fun & Inexpensive Activities
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm 

Great advice - thank you!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

When you do the dinner and dancing at home, do you have to spend the entire evening dancing with your spouse or do you invite other partners over? I'm just curious.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:01 am 

Northern light wrote:
Great advice - thank you!

You're very welcome!

DoingHomework wrote:
When you do the dinner and dancing at home, do you have to spend the entire evening dancing with your spouse or do you invite other partners over? I'm just curious.

It's up to you. You don't have to spend the whole night dancing. Maybe just an hour or so? lol It's more romantic in my opinion to be just the spouse. However, an intimate group of friends might be fun too.

Any other good ideas that won't break the bank (inexpensive/free)?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am 

Geocahing.

I find rock climbing to be relatively inexpensive, but it still costs money. So says a couple of grand worth of gear in my basement.

I also find cycling to be relatively inexpensive, but it still costs money. I put down between 5000 and 6000 miles a year. Between new tires, chains, tubes, cassettes, cables etc, it does start to add up. I do net savings over driving though.

Another hobby I have is film photography. I spent about $500 (camera, developing stuff, enlarger, paper, chems etc) a couple years ago and I still haven't run out of film, chemicals or fun! Most people are giving the stuff away. I bought an enlarger for $100 and got all the trays, some film, film developing canisters, some paper and all the chemicals one needed for for both film and prints. Again, YMMV.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm 

Bichon Frise wrote:
Another hobby I have is film photography.

You take pictures of film? That doesn't sound very interesting. Or are you photographing soap films or something like that?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

I think I missed the memo deeming this thread to be the DH sarcasm thread.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

We often go for long walks... costs nothing except the additional wear on the shoes.

My wife keeps telling me she is going to teach me to play tennis, as well... She hasn't started yet.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm 

bpgui wrote:
I think I missed the memo deeming this thread to be the DH sarcasm thread.

Ok, ok, give up. Eagle took all the good ideas with his original post.

I was going to say hiking but that was taken.

If you live near a university you can often go to lectures and presentations on almost any topic that interests you. There are also lots of free recitals, plays, concerts, intramural sports, and so forth.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 pm 

Pet training. Dogs, cats, heck even hamsters and goldfish can be taught to do something! If you already have a well-mannered pet the web has lots of ideas for tricks beyond the basic.

Which leads to -

Pet theater. Once your pet knows the tricks, have them do it. Marvel at their/your cleverness. When they have a large enough repertoire you'll be entertained for a while. Invite your friends over to see what you've taught Rover/Fifi/Bubbles.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm 

Great ideas

I especially like the last one
I have no paintings hanging on my walls, but I have painted a black world map on a wall in my living room. I the dining room I have a black tree with outlines of me, my husband and my son.
And in my sons room I painted Lightning MqQueen from cars.
So I think painting is a great thing to do for free

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm 

eak wrote:
I have no paintings hanging on my walls, but I have painted a black world map on a wall in my living room. I the dining room I have a black tree with outlines of me, my husband and my son. And in my sons room I painted Lightning MqQueen from cars. So I think painting is a great thing to do for free.

That’s really cool. My wife is artsy and has similar ideas. It’s fun and can make great memories. Great ideas!

catchingup wrote:
Pet training. Dogs, cats, heck even hamsters and goldfish can be taught to do something! Which leads to - Pet theater. Once your pet knows the tricks, have them do it. Marvel at their/your cleverness.

Pet training and Pet theater. Didn’t consider those. Great ideas!

DoingHomework wrote:
If you live near a university you can often go to lectures and presentations on almost any topic that interests you. There are also lots of free recitals, plays, concerts, intramural sports, and so forth.

This is true. We have attended many concerts and plays in the local education institutions for free. Intramural sports are great but doesn’t one have to be a student to play? Great ideas!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:29 pm 

Eagle wrote:
Intramural sports are great but doesn’t one have to be a student to play?

To play, yes, but not to watch.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:13 pm 

are we going to skirt the cheapest and best of them all? I'll say it.

Sex.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 pm 

Workingout is mine, you can borrow books virtually from your local library.

Join a running or walking club.

Sex is only cheap and fun: if you don't catch a disease, get pregnant which can both happen even with protection.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next