Eating less meat - need some meal ideas

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

Bichon Frise

Re: Eating less meat - need some meal ideas

Postby Bichon Frise » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 am

kaitlyn142 wrote:
Bichon Frise wrote:Our soups are also made with raw cashews ground down to a powder with water to make a "cream." This "cream" can then be used for things such as tomato soup or a jalapeno bisque.

I think I'm going to need that recipe for jalapeno bisque. Pretty please.

http://www.thekitchentwist.com/?p=516

The lady who does the blog uses some exotic things which are easily replaced with more common, everyday things. e.g. olive oil for grapeseed oil or a regular blender does just fine over a blendtec. Tomato soup recipe is also on there.
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

avocado wrote:Good to see you back, I was starting to miss your incisive commentary!

kaitlyn142

Postby kaitlyn142 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:13 am

Bichon Frise wrote:
kaitlyn142 wrote:
Bichon Frise wrote:Our soups are also made with raw cashews ground down to a powder with water to make a "cream." This "cream" can then be used for things such as tomato soup or a jalapeno bisque.

I think I'm going to need that recipe for jalapeno bisque. Pretty please.

http://www.thekitchentwist.com/?p=516

The lady who does the blog uses some exotic things which are easily replaced with more common, everyday things. e.g. olive oil for grapeseed oil or a regular blender does just fine over a blendtec. Tomato soup recipe is also on there.

This looks fabulous. Thanks. I've been on a serious heat kick lately (maybe the weather? ]:) ), and going vegan is a nice thing to do in the summer when there is such good produce available. I hope it's still tasty without the cilantro.

Bichon Frise

Postby Bichon Frise » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:31 am

I'm sure it will be fine sans cilantro. I know people who get a sour face upon eating fresh cilantro. Once you make it, do let me know how you like it. I mentioned to my spouse this weekend that I wanted to make this for the 4th!
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

avocado wrote:Good to see you back, I was starting to miss your incisive commentary!

brad

Postby brad » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 am

Speaking of "heat kicks," I've been addicted lately to a minimalist version of huevos rancheros with homemade salsa fresca. It couldn't be easier:

Chop some onion (I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a medium white onion), add a chopped fresh tomato or two, one small clove of garlic, fresh hot peppers to taste (I chop up some Habañero, using it sparingly), salt, pepper, and a little splash of oil and vinegar. Add cilantro if you like it. That's your fresh salsa.

Grate a little fresh cheese -- queso fresco is traditional but if you can't get that any fairly bland white cheese will do: mozzarella, Petit Basque, probably even La Vache qui Rit.

Fry a couple of eggs (sprinkle with salt and pepper while cooking, maybe a little chopped fresh oregano) and warm a couple of small corn tortillas.

Sprinkle the cheese over the tortillas and top each tortilla with a fried egg, then add some of the salsa on top.

I often make these for lunch, and they're really delicious. Start to finish takes about 15 minutes.

Return to “General Discussion”