dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Credit Card Rewards Limit Waiver

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Post subject: Credit Card Rewards Limit Waiver
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 pm 

I have a Citicard (Dividend something) and recently found out I have a $300 cash back reward cap during a calendar year. We've never reached that limit before but we bought some bigger ticket things this year and even got a couple with the 5% rolling categories. My question is, has anyone gotten them to remove the $300 limit and give cash back above the limit? Not just for Citi specifically but for any credit card (however from Citi would be an ideal answer).

I sent them an e-mail and they, not surprisingly, said no. We have several other rewards cards we will start using so it's not a big deal. However, we lost out on about $40 worth of rewards because I never knew there was a limit. Any chance they will retroactively give us those rewards and remove the limit? Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Credit Card Rewards Limit Waiver
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 am 

If you are willing to leave that card for $40, you could tell them you plan switch to another card because you're unhappy with the rewards limit, and then cancel if they don't try to keep you by adding the $40.

There are many other cards on the market that don't cap rewards.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 pm 

dontgopoor wrote:
If you are willing to leave that card for $40, you could tell them you plan switch to another card because you're unhappy with the rewards limit, and then cancel if they don't try to keep you by adding the $40.

There are many other cards on the market that don't cap rewards.

I've stuck with Citi mainly out of laziness. We were getting decent rewards and the 5% rolling categories worked out pretty well for us.

We've already moved on to a new credit card with similar rewards and no cap. After a few months of inactivity, we'll see if Citi loosens up and decides to give me the rewards that were over the limit. If not, then I guess I won't be using the Citi card again. Oh well...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

I could (and do) crank out $300 (30,000 "points" is a light month for me) worth of rewards in a month. i keep mine mainly for the travel rewards though.

switch to a different program. as is said above, there are too many good products to dwell on this one. don't hold grudges against citi either, they have some good programs.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail