dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - “My Life Goals and Objectives”

  GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:52 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:33 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
This is a very simple yet useful tool I developed in 2005 while putting into practice some of the concepts found in "The One Minute Manager" by Kenneth Blanchard & Spencer Johnson. I was trying to decide what I was going to do with my life post college.

I've shared it with several people in person. The first two phases should take between 15 and 30 minutes. Trust me it is well worth your time. After sharing the idea with one or two people it was suggested I create a generic "how to" and so here it is:


“My Life Goals and Objectives”

The basic idea is as easy as 1, 2, 3:

1) Write down your goals and objectives so you know what you are aiming for in life.

2) Read your goals and objectives (1-2 pages approximately 1-5 minutes to read the whole thing) on a weekly/monthly basis so you keep your vision.

3) Update/Modify your goals and objectives on a bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly basis.

Note: There are three phases to this exercise.

Phase 1: Key Assumptions: Your objectives - what you believe and want to do with your life.

Step 1. Ultimate Goal (Life Goal)

Start out by stating your life goal. I call this your ultimate goal. It is important to note that your life goal will directly or indirectly affect all other objectives/goals.

Step 2. Passion

Sate your passion. Similar to your life goal - except this is how you accomplish your life goal.

Please Note: The next steps may be in different orders depending on your stage in life. (i.e. if your married your spouse/children will likely come before your career, education, etc.)

Step 3. Education
State your education aspirations

Step 4. Career
State your career aspirations

Step 5. Family
State your family aspirations

Step 6. Monetary/Other
State monetary/other aspirations

**Congratulations your half way there!**

Phase 2: Goals : (Plan on how to accomplish objectives/aspirations)

Step 7: Long Term Goals
Long term Goals: 5-10 years down the road

Step 8: Intermediate Goals
Intermediate Goals: 1-5 years

Step 9: Short-Term Goals
Short-term Goals: less than 12 months

**Great! You’ve done it… But don’t stop now!!!** :

Phase 3: Share this with one to three other people. The idea is to do this with another person you know and can meet with face to face.

Step 10: Share
Sit down with another person and share your life goals/objectives. There is nothing like allowing another person to see a real life example. For couples this might help alleviate some tensions in your relationship by getting to see what the other person prioritizes.

Step 11: Pass It On
Ask if they'd like for you to help them sit down and write some of their stuff down. I guess you never really know how good it feels to at least have a sense of direction for your life. For me, it was a relief to know that it was all on paper. I had it in my mind but now I can take a look at this list on my refrigerator door whenever I want in order to see what I need to do next.

Step 12: Accountability
You may or may not choose to stay accountable to someone. Have someone hold you to your goals. However, I would highly suggest doing so. The advantage here is you don't just write something down and never follow through. Whether it be your boss, your co-worker, a friend, your spouse it is always best to have someone encouraging you along the way.

Congratulations! Now take life by the horns and go for it!

On a related note for setting goals that are SMART and SAFE.

SMART stands for:
• Specific
• Measurable
• Achievable
• Realistic
• Timely

SAFE stands for:
• See the end result
• Accept the end result
• Feel the end result
• Express the end result


Want to try it? Post a reply!

_________________
~ Eagle


Last edited by Eagle on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 am, edited 12 times in total.

Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
Example: My Life Goals & Objectives - Spring 2005

I. Key Assumptions (Objectives)
1. My ultimate goal is to point others to Christ, be financially successful, and have my own family.
2. I do know for sure I want to get a Masters of Business Administration. (Accomplished in 2009)
3. I would specifically like to get a MBA in global business & get a job with a Fortune 500 company. (Accomplished in 2011)
4. I want to get a job that I can be proud of. (Accomplished in 2011)
5. I see the value of a 30 hour managerial/non-managerial position in order to accomplish long-term goals & objectives for my life. (Endured 2004-2011)
6. I would like to purchase a home/new car (Purchased Car in 2007, home 2013)
7. Make money & save it in order to: A) set up a fund for retirement (Started in 2005) B) save for marriage (Started in 2005) C) save for kids (Started in 2011) D) have funds for a rainy day (Started in 2005).

II. Goals:
1. Long Term
A. Get a job that will serve as my career of choice in an industry I respect and enjoy.
B. Find my life mate and expand the family with children. (Accomplished 2008 & 2012 respectively)
________________________________________
2. Intermediate
A. Get MBA degree (2009)
________________________________________
3 . Short Term
A. Take some classes at a local business school (2005-2009)
B. Get a new job managerial/non-managerial, possibly with 30-40 hours a week (Retail for almost 7 years)
C. Get involved in the local community (2008 – Community Service) and local church (Since 2005 but really more active in 2008)
D. Meet young people my age & make more friends (2008)
E. Check into YMCA for exercise (2005)
F. Seek a guidance counselor at a local university (2005)
G. Develop a consistent quiet time (Still working towards this, but trying daily)
H. Get back to reading and studying (Began in 2005)
I. Learn to co-exist with family/roommate(s) in positive manner in preparation for life mate (Started in 2005, must have helped as got married in 2010)

_________________
~ Eagle


Last edited by Eagle on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:19 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:16 pm
Posts: 961
Eagle thank you this is awesome I will definitely complete this exercise.

_________________
Be what you want to attract.


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
Thanks Fantasma for the positive feedback! The goals should probably be more specific and timely but at least it's a start. Enjoy!

_________________
~ Eagle


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 18
For years I have read and enjoyed the concept of Life Planning. I first came across this while reading Michael Hyatt's blog and then took it further by reading George Kinder's book. I highly recommend both. Michael Hyatt has a free e-book on Life Planning that I recommend to anyone who's serious about it.
.
George Kinder makes a great argument that personal finance planning cannot be looked at without including life in general, thus the concept of Life Planning. I agree with this concept very much.
.
In summary, you divide your life into segments. This is the best segmentation I have read (from MH) and I have followed for over 5 years.
.
Relationships
Health
Career
Pleasure
.
Financial
Public Service
Spiritual
Education
.
Identify what each of these things mean to you and define what you want for each of them. I have it all in one page and I read it on a monthly basis. I don't always do exactly what I say I'm going to do, but this gives me a frame of reference.
.
Lately, I've added a rating system in which I give myself ratings for each of these segments.
.
It's also important to define one's priorities.
.
1. My relationship with my wife
2. My children
3. My parents
4. My spirituality and faith
5. My extended family and close friends
6. My health
7. My hobbies Biking, Reading / learning new things


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
Great thoughts thanks peterjon!

_________________
~ Eagle


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:16 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am
Posts: 12
Eagle,
Thank you for updating the thread (so I can notice it) and for your post. I cannot resist to add my two cents about the ultimate (life goal). After a lot of thinking I came to the concussion that it's very hard and probably a bad idea to set a life goal. What if you cannot achieve that goal? How would you feel?

So I decided to set a life road (path, direction) instead of life goal. "Pointing others to Christ" is a good example. If it is a goal, you would not measure it, you would not know when you achieved it. But if it is a road, you will know you go in the right direction. To keep up your spirit going down the road you can set milestones.

_________________
"Your focus determines your reality"
I craft my secret business plans with B-Folders


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
Interesting perspective Spiral. Thank you for your encouragement.

Spiral wrote:
Eagle,
Thank you for updating the thread (so I can notice it) and for your post. I cannot resist to add my two cents about the ultimate (life goal). After a lot of thinking I came to the concussion that it's very hard and probably a bad idea to set a life goal. What if you cannot achieve that goal? How would you feel?

So I decided to set a life road (path, direction) instead of life goal. "Pointing others to Christ" is a good example. If it is a goal, you would not measure it, you would not know when you achieved it. But if it is a road, you will know you go in the right direction. To keep up your spirit going down the road you can set milestones.


I seee what you're saying. It is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all would you agree? Goals are just that. If there is no risk in a goal than perhaps the goal is not worth achieving?

I believe all three of my life goals are SMART - Specific, Measurable, Achievable , Realistic, and Timely. "My ultimate goal is to point others to Christ, be financially successful, and have my own family."

Pointing others to Christ can be measured by how much I invest in others and if God has used me lead any people to Jesus Christ. I believe that if God uses me to lead even just one person to Jesus my goal is accomplished. Even though my personal goal is attempt to lead 1-2 people a year to Him. Of course my job is only to point people to the truth. The rest is up to God's Holy Spirit. ;)

As far as finacial success I plan on spending less than I make, living debt free, and buying a house one day cash.

As far as having my own family I wanted to get married and have kids. I had already determined to marry someone who was open to adoption in case either or both of the spouses were sterile. Our son was born this year but that doesn't close out the option of adoption.

_________________
~ Eagle


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am
Posts: 12
Eagle wrote:
Interesting perspective Spiral. Thank you for your encouragement.

Spiral wrote:
Eagle,
Thank you for updating the thread (so I can notice it) and for your post. I cannot resist to add my two cents about the ultimate (life goal). After a lot of thinking I came to the concussion that it's very hard and probably a bad idea to set a life goal. What if you cannot achieve that goal? How would you feel?

So I decided to set a life road (path, direction) instead of life goal. "Pointing others to Christ" is a good example. If it is a goal, you would not measure it, you would not know when you achieved it. But if it is a road, you will know you go in the right direction. To keep up your spirit going down the road you can set milestones.


I seee what you're saying. It is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all would you agree? Goals are just that. If there is no risk in a goal than perhaps the goal is not worth achieving?

I believe all three of my life goals are SMART - Specific, Measurable, Achievable , Realistic, and Timely. "My ultimate goal is to point others to Christ, be financially successful, and have my own family."

Pointing others to Christ can be measured by how much I invest in others and if God has used me lead any people to Jesus Christ. I believe that if God uses me to lead even just one person to Jesus my goal is accomplished. Even though my personal goal is attempt to lead 1-2 people a year to Him. Of course my job is only to point people to the truth. The rest is up to God's Holy Spirit. ;)

As far as finacial success I plan on spending less than I make, living debt free, and buying a house one day cash.

As far as having my own family I wanted to get married and have kids. I had already determined to marry someone who was open to adoption in case either or both of the spouses were sterile. Our son was born this year but that doesn't close out the option of adoption.


My point is that setting a SMART ultimate life goal could bring too much tension, especially when retiring. If it is a road with milestones instead, you will always feel OK because all life long you go in the right direction and reach milestones. No tension, no stress, no regrets for not achieving you ultimate life goal.

_________________
"Your focus determines your reality"
I craft my secret business plans with B-Folders


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:50 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:08 am
Posts: 7
Amazing post. I've known about short term and long term goals when I was in high school and I think this one is more detailed. Will definitely try this one out, I'll just have to think my goals now since I'm kinda mixed up with things now. Thanks for posting this.


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
p_wyt_12 wrote:
Amazing post. I've known about short term and long term goals when I was in high school and I think this one is more detailed. Will definitely try this one out, I'll just have to think my goals now since I'm kinda mixed up with things now. Thanks for posting this.


Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

Where are you currently in life p_wyt_12? Still in school? College? In the work force?

Are you single or married?

What would you like to do with your life?

_________________
~ Eagle


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: “My Life Goals and Objectives”
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:01 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1134
fantasma wrote:
Eagle thank you this is awesome I will definitely complete this exercise.


Care to share your goals and objectives?

_________________
~ Eagle


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki