Christian people - moral guide

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon



Eagle
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Eagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:02 am

~ Eagle
www.eaglesoaringhigher.com

Eagle
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Eagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 am

This guy is pretty funny btw. Thanks for sharing him Northern Light. Yet he is obviously very intelligent and not at all concerned about political correctness. This guy says it like it is.

The ugliest newspaper in Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgV6Fvc8wc&feature=BFa&list=UUWOkEnBl5TO4SCLfSlosjgg

The Guardian - Apparently some liberals are anti-Semitic against Jews but very sympathetic to Islam. Wow what a revelation lol.

1:53 “The Guardian readers are educated, middle-class, liberal, leftist, intellectuals that inhabit a rarified bubble of hypocrisy that only they seem unaware of...” Sounds like some liberals in the U.S.

2:09 “Calls themselves liberal yet are often the most enthusiastic about censoring the opinions of others. The most illiberal thing you can do…“ Again sounds like some liberals in the U.S. Sounds like Newsweek, Time, Washington Post readers anyone?

2:47 “BBC gave a capital to Palestinians but not Israel in their Olympic guide.” And just throw in BBC hatred for Israel for kicks apparently.

3:03 “Progressive consensus – words like tolerance, fairness, diversity, and progressive no longer mean what they say… All hollowed out?” Wow.

3:47 “Golden rule for virtuous victims should never be required to take responsibility for their actions or their circumstances. It must always be someone else’s fault. The Palestinian syndrome…”

5:12 "Guardian readers gravitate towards high moral ground on just about everything, because their values being leftist liberal values are automatically more virtuous than everybody else’s." Again sounds like Newsweek, Time, Washington Post readers anyone?

Sounds like CNN to me. Artificial PC world… Lol.

The next one in the series is informative as well: American Dhimmi (Arab Spring, Persecution, Sharia law, Obama wants to be cozy with Islam & 3rd world, etc.)

Edit to correct spelling and formatting.
Last edited by Eagle on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
~ Eagle
www.eaglesoaringhigher.com

Ms Kitty Cliche
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Ms Kitty Cliche » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:24 am

For some of us, we turn into a PC world when the world starts using our core identities as short-hand for poor character-

"That's so gay!" "Cry like a girl" "bible-thumper" "Stupid redneck" etc

I'd rather police people's language than watch human beings be objectified for convenience' sake.

Of course, I'm an atheist and a liberal, so maybe my worldview just doesn't work for you. But maybe it will help you to understand that it is based in compassion for those who seem to receive very little understanding from others.

Eagle
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Eagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:40 am

Ms Kitty Cliche wrote:For some of us, we turn into a PC world when the world starts using our core identities as short-hand for poor character-

"That's so gay!" "Cry like a girl" "bible-thumper" "Stupid redneck" etc

I'd rather police people's language than watch human beings be objectified for convenience' sake.

Of course, I'm an atheist and a liberal, so maybe my worldview just doesn't work for you. But maybe it will help you to understand that it is based in compassion for those who seem to receive very little understanding from others.


Actually I personally have no problem with an atheist or liberal worldview. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Funny that you should mention "stupid redneck" (an assumption since I live in Texas) as it could be argued some liberals on this forum have implicitly called me that. In fact because I have different values or belief systems than some I have been accused of not being able to think for myself. How ironic is it that as Pat stated liberals often have a hard time not censoring the views of others?

Did you listen to this part?
Re: is based in compassion for those who seem to receive very little understanding from others 3:43 “Victims are automatically virtuous. Golden rule for virtuous victims should never be required to take responsibility for their actions or their circumstances. It must always be someone else’s fault. The Palestinian syndrome…”
~ Eagle
www.eaglesoaringhigher.com

Northern light
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Northern light » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 am

Eagle wrote:This guy is pretty funny btw. Thanks for sharing him Northern Light.

From the guys websites FAQ:

Q: I'm a moderate Muslim and I'm offended by your comments about my religion.
A: Then you're not moderate enough.

I am glad to see you are quite moderate Eagle :lol:

Northern light
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Northern light » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 am

Eagle
As discussed in another thread, my view of "liberal" (looking at myself) has few things in common with the everyday use of the word in the US. The United states was built upon a liberal thought, and a sound scepticism against authority (key word here). In a global view, todays United states is quite authoritarian. Looking at equality of the sexes and general view of homosexuals, left wingers and/or atheists also points that way. It seems to me many people in the US is socially discarded for "having problems with authority". Sorry mates - but is´nt that suppose to the showpieces of "good old fachioned American spirit"? This is the United states run by so called liberal Clinton in the 90:s, Obama today and that many claim is controlled by "liberal media".

I don´t identify with union baching and naive liberalizing reform of financial markets during Reagan/Thatcher no matter how much you quote liberal economist Adam Smith. You can call this the birth of "neoliberalism" all you want, it does not change the fact that Reagan and Thatcher was republican/Tory and identifiy themself as "conservative". As such they are "corporate friendly" - I am market friendly and there is quite a difference. The former is strong actors rigging (and conserving) a system to make them winners, the latter is using market economy as a (subordinate) tool to benefit the greater good. The tool is not sacret, it is only used as much, and as long, as it can furfill it´s purpose - utilitarism.

Some call it liberal, some call it atheist - I say there is no authority not worth to question.
Last edited by Northern light on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoingHomework
Moderator
Posts: 5602
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 am

Eagle wrote:This guy is pretty funny btw. Thanks for sharing him Northern Light. Yet he is obviously very intelligent and not at all concerned about political correctness. This guy says it like it is.


Ok Eagle, so how do you reconcile what he says with YOUR beliefs about the bible? Do you believe you are self-editing it, rejecting certain parts because they are obviously outdated, ridiculous, and barbaric? Or do you accept and follow all of it? In other words, do you think women who are raped should be put to death, for example? What about people who work on Sunday?

Because that literal interpretation is what the religious nutjobs in Iran follow. Are you like the Iranian mullahs? Or do you think that some parts of the bible are just plain wrong?

My guess is that your brain is not even capable of considering that question at this point. You will ignore it, pretend it was never asked. It challenges your world view and will force you to think. But even if you publicly ignore it, the question will eat at you until years from now you realize how limited your thinking is. At that point you will either find a way to delude yourself further with some complicated reasoning (rather than just applying Occam's Razor) or you will alter your beliefs.

Northern light
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Northern light » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

Image

A picture can say more than a thousand words.

iDude
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:39 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby iDude » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Wait, when did "liberal" get conflated with "atheist"? One is a political stance (and a moderately nonspecific one at that), one is a religious stance (or lack thereof, whatever).

Northern light
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Northern light » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:48 pm

iDude wrote:Wait, when did "liberal" get conflated with "atheist"? One is a political stance (and a moderately nonspecific one at that), one is a religious stance (or lack thereof, whatever).

Religion was a political system from the time humans evolved from beeing collectors to cultivate the soil (hence producing a surplus that could be redistributed - to nobles, priest and kings for instance) up until the age of enlightment in 18th century Europe. Beeing very old and a producer of "culture" entangled with everything man has ever made does not change this. It is a (simple) system to rigg a society in favour of some, at the cost of others.

It´s role in modern day rich countries is quite a conundrum. Perhaps the "enlighted man" - by seeing himseld as enlightened - acquired such a delusion of grandeur some of us are simply not capable of accepting the reasonable fact that in a galactic sence, we are all just a contingent of amoebae, flying through space on a huge rock.

Don´t get me wrong here, beeing a liberal I am all for freedom of religion and do respect peoples beliefs as long as they don´t force it on others or intrude in any way - but that said... It is the same type of respect I would show for someone who likes playing with feces in a sexual context. Beeing liberal is, within reasonable limits, saying: "whatever makes your boat floating, though I would appreciate beeing kept out of it".

Northern light
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby Northern light » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Image

DoingHomework
Moderator
Posts: 5602
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby DoingHomework » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 am

DoingHomework wrote:
Eagle wrote:This guy is pretty funny btw. Thanks for sharing him Northern Light. Yet he is obviously very intelligent and not at all concerned about political correctness. This guy says it like it is.


Ok Eagle, so how do you reconcile what he says with YOUR beliefs about the bible? Do you believe you are self-editing it, rejecting certain parts because they are obviously outdated, ridiculous, and barbaric? Or do you accept and follow all of it? In other words, do you think women who are raped should be put to death, for example? What about people who work on Sunday?

Because that literal interpretation is what the religious nutjobs in Iran follow. Are you like the Iranian mullahs? Or do you think that some parts of the bible are just plain wrong?

My guess is that your brain is not even capable of considering that question at this point. You will ignore it, pretend it was never asked. It challenges your world view and will force you to think. But even if you publicly ignore it, the question will eat at you until years from now you realize how limited your thinking is. At that point you will either find a way to delude yourself further with some complicated reasoning (rather than just applying Occam's Razor) or you will alter your beliefs.


Eagle, I am still waiting for an answer. Why is it that you only want to stick your head in the sand when confronted with a challenging question that requires thought on your part?

tdelamater
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Christian people - moral guide

Postby tdelamater » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 am

Replace "cyclist" with "Christian" or "Atheist" depending on your point of view.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/09/cyclists_are_annoying_why_you_think_they_re_a_menace_on_two_wheels_.single.html

Northern light wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC-9uJrotC4&list=UUWOkEnBl5TO4SCLfSlosjgg&index=2&feature=plcp

I rest my case.


Nice straw man. All humans have morals (let's exclude extreme sociopaths from all). Yet it's quite amazing the way we rationalize and justify our actions so we can "do" just about anything we "want".

Why Christians "edit the bible" so to speak is quite simple actually. Christians "believe":

1) God is perfect
2) The Bible is the Word of God and therefore perfect
3) Man is not perfect

Any contradiction is therefore due to lack of real understanding.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Isaiah 55:9-11


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users