dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Need advice on saving / investing

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need advice on saving / investing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 pm 

It varies a bit, depending on what people can afford. Usually it is $100. For someone that is just starting out in investing, it's often less.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:27 pm 

Just curious, did you ever work for Ameriprise....?

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:33 pm 

Bichon Frise wrote:
Just curious, did you ever work for Ameriprise....?

No. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 pm 

Oh, ok. I'm just getting started in investing, so what's my cost for a portfolio going to be after the initial free one?

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

$50 for the second one. Regular cost after that. I figure, if someone is still with me after 2 portfolios, then they know that they're getting a good deal.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:03 pm 

So do you have the required licenses/certifications to be selling investment advice?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:36 pm 

Every party has its pooper. SEC has a Matthew Ryan Clinger who worked at Ameriprise during 2008-ish. But isn't registered since he left Ameriprise. You can enter his name below.

http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/IAPD/Content/Search/iapd_Search.aspx

BTW, I'm not really interested in your investment advisement services Matt. Since you're not registered and all. Well, there are more reasons than that.

Also, in case anyone is being duped into using this guy's services, SEC warns specifically against this type of thing over the internet. Plus, Matt is suppose to be registered within his home state.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm 

You only need certification if you want to claim some certain title. There are tons of investment services all over the net. You think the people running them are all registered and certified? Not a chance.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm 

Matthew Clinger wrote:
You only need certification if you want to claim some certain title. There are tons of investment services all over the net. You think the people running them are all registered and certified? Not a chance.

You must not have gotten to your logic class yet. Just b/c someone does something, or a group of people does it, or even a majority, doesn't validate it as "right."

There's a difference between being a financial advisor and an investment advisor. While there is a lot of overlap, anyone offering specific investment advice needs to be registered with the appropriate governing agency. I'm sure you know this, but are downplaying your responsibility of needing to be registered with the state which your "business" is housed.

BTW, who's Patrick and what does he do out there in Lake Hills, CA?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:47 am 

kombat wrote:
Matthew, I have 2 simple questions for you:

1) If Value Investing works, why doesn't everyone use it?
2) If everyone used it, would it still work?

Still waiting for an answer to these simple questions, Matthew.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 am 

Matthew Clinger wrote:

Matthew, do you pay income taxes on the money you charge people? Do you have a business license and charge any local taxes on products/services?

Where are you located? (We'll need that for our simulation contest anyway)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm 

Matthew Clinger wrote:

From the sec.gov website
Quote:
Investment Advisers Act of 1940

This law regulates investment advisers. With certain exceptions, this Act requires that firms or sole practitioners compensated for advising others about securities investments must register with the SEC and conform to regulations designed to protect investors. Since the Act was amended in 1996 and 2010, generally only advisers who have at least $100 million of assets under management or advise a registered investment company must register with the Commission. The full text of this Act is available at: http://www.sec.gov/about/laws/iaa40.pdf.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 pm 

I work with Scottrade as an investment advisor since they provide the lowest cost to my clients and usually have physical locations close to where you live. I would recommend the stock market as well. I believe with the amount of money you have to invest you could even invest in a hedge fund, you might need to double check that but hedge funds are investment funds run by some of the brightest minds on wall street. I have had internships at a few and recently found a rankings website for hedge funds, its not a bad place to look. If you are interested you can email me

mgoldberg@goldbergfinancialLLC.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

GoldbergFinancial wrote:
hedge funds are investment funds run by some of the brightest minds on wall street.

And like most funds managed by the brightest minds on Wall Street, most hedge funds don't even beat the market:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-11/hedge-funds-trail-vanguard-as-elliott-returns-atypical.html

"Hedge funds have trailed both the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index and a Vanguard index fund with the same 60/40 mix over the past five years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The balanced fund beat the main Bloomberg hedge-fund index in six of the last seven calendar years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg."

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:03 pm 

brad wrote:
And like most funds managed by the brightest minds on Wall Street, most hedge funds don't even beat the market:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-11/hedge-funds-trail-vanguard-as-elliott-returns-atypical.html

"Hedge funds have trailed both the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index and a Vanguard index fund with the same 60/40 mix over the past five years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The balanced fund beat the main Bloomberg hedge-fund index in six of the last seven calendar years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg."

How can you even begin to argue with such great hedge fund successes as Long Term Capital Management, Amaranth Advisors, Bailey Coates Cromwell Fund, Marin Capital, Aman Capital, and Tiger Funds? Google them and you'll learn all you want to know!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next