Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Post subject: most annoying commercials
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:43 pm 

Typically I DVR the shows I want to watch and then fast forward through commercials, but somehow I've been watching a bit more "live" TV these days. Now's the time that a ton of Black Friday and Christmas commercials are running, I've been noticing lots of annoying ones. Which are the most annoying to you?

The top of my list are the new Target ads. (1) Two girls are texting about going shopping at Target, and each of them have an adult behind them obnoxiously singing the texts. It ends with something like, "We should like totally go shopping, or whatever." (2) Those same annoying adults are in a Target store promoting their credit and debit cards and Black Friday, I think, but I don't really understand what they're singing in those same obnoxious voices. Both ads are so irritating!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: most annoying commercials
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 pm 

I heard a radio commercial today for Khols talking about how they're open all day on black Friday. It ended with "doors open at midnight Thursday." So either they're completely disregarding the sanctity of the holiday, or they have ignoramuses working in their advertising department that don't know that midnight only happens once a day and it's at the beginning, not the end. Either way, it annoyed the hell out of me.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 am 

alohabear wrote:
I heard a radio commercial today for Khols talking about how they're open all day on black Friday. It ended with "doors open at midnight Thursday." So either they're completely disregarding the sanctity of the holiday, or they have ignoramuses working in their advertising department that don't know that midnight only happens once a day and it's at the beginning, not the end. Either way, it annoyed the hell out of me.

Huh. I guess I never really thought about that. Technically, you're absolutely right. But if someone said to me, "I'll call you Thursday at midnight," I would expect a call Thursday night/Friday morning, not Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I guess this is one of those things people use incorrectly so often that it's become the norm.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:37 pm 

kombat wrote:
Huh. I guess I never really thought about that. Technically, you're absolutely right. But if someone said to me, "I'll call you Thursday at midnight," I would expect a call Thursday night/Friday morning, not Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I guess this is one of those things people use incorrectly so often that it's become the norm.

It's funny. When people do that in casual conversation, it doesn't bug me. As long as you can get your point across, it's all good. It's when people put out official communications - advertisements, memos, publications, etc - where it really drives me nuts.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill