dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Skiing----Help!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 am

Post subject: Skiing----Help!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm 

I may have the opportunity to go skiing next year but trying to do some hw first before I put a deposit.

Do I really need to pay for ski lifts for 3 days? Will there be other things to do other than skiing?

Will it be super expensive to go (other than paying for lodging and air transportation)?

Last edited by fantasma on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Skying----Help!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm 

Hi fantasma, skiing is a ton of fun, but it can be fairly pricey. Lift tickets average somewhere around $40 to $50 per day, plus if you don't already have your own equipment, you would need to rent it. Food at the lodge is typically overpriced. Whether there are things to do other than skiing depends on where you are planning to go. Nevertheless, there are definitely deals to be had on skiing vacations, so you ought to start planning ahead to see if you can find coupons, promotions, etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Skiing----Help!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 am 

I'm going to Utah if it helps....just thinking, asking before I pull the gun and pay for the deposit.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 am 

LeRainDrop wrote:
Lift tickets average somewhere around $40 to $50 per day

Where are you going skiing? Most resorts I've been to charge $70-100+/day (in Colorado).

Expenses to consider include:
Lift ticket - the resort should have the prices for individual and multi-day passes on their site. If the price per day is about the same, you might want to buy your ticket one day at a time. That way, if you're totally worn out after the first day you can take the second day off to rest without feeling like you're wasting the money. Many ski slopes will also have a sledding hill, or you could hang out in the lodge with a good book, or wander around town, etc.

Equipment rental - again, prices should be listed on the website. It might pay off to check out rentals at near by shops. The skis/snowboard, boots and poles usually come as a package. If you can, I suggest renting a helmet and goggles as well.

Cold weather gear - I forget where exactly you are but seem to remember it's some place warm, so depending on the time of year you might need to buy heavier gloves, coat, etc. Don't worry about buying special ski clothes. Snow pants are nice but you can ski in jeans, although I do recommend wearing tights or exercise pants under them. Some resorts will also rent out ski pants, coats, etc. I've skied in everything from single digits to 60F, so this is one to keep an eye out for as the time approaches.

Food - Yes, resort food is typically over priced, however most have a dining area open for sack lunches if you want to bring your own. Typically you'll only eat lunch on the slope, what you do for the other meals depends on where you're staying.

Locker rental - I'd avoid this one if you can. I'll ski with my shoes around my neck before paying for a locker! Yes, I've done this. Instead, plan to take a small backpack to carry shoes, water, snacks, etc. Lockers can run anywhere from $2/access to $10+/day.

Transportation - How are you getting to your lodging from the airport? How are you getting from the lodging to the slope? Many resorts have lodging that's right at the slope, but if you're staying in town you might need bus fare or a rental car.

Those are all the expenses I can think of off hand. With the ski season just getting started there are a lot of deals being offered so I'd suggest looking for coupons online.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 am 

Also I have the option to get on the ski lift either for two or three days? Is it worth an extra $30 to go up there for an extra day?

I am in Florida...

They are picking me up from the airport to the Snowbird Resort in Utah.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 am 

I have a question - are you going with friends? Because if you are then you might want to talk to them about what they plan to do. If they plan to spend a day in town then you probably don't want to be the only one on the slopes and there is a good chance you won't even use the lift ticket that day.

If you are going by yourself then it's really about what YOU want to do.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am 

catchingup wrote:
LeRainDrop wrote:
Lift tickets average somewhere around $40 to $50 per day

Where are you going skiing? Most resorts I've been to charge $70-100+/day (in Colorado).

Haha, I guess it has been a good decade since I've been out on the slopes (and under student discounts then)! I grew up in New England, so mostly New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine, where mountains are not as big and much icier, but also a couple times in Colorado. Now that I think of it, you are right that the western resorts were pricier than the New England places, as they probably should be. However, the range I gave came from googling for average lift ticket prices in the U.S. Looking further, many of the western resorts are easily $90+ for an adult lift ticket, so I was way off.

catchingup gave a great summary of the associated expenses. fantasma, it is very important to plan out all the costs on a trip like this because they can very easily get away from you if you're not careful. I hope you have a fun time!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
I have a question - are you going with friends? Because if you are then you might want to talk to them about what they plan to do. If they plan to spend a day in town then you probably don't want to be the only one on the slopes and there is a good chance you won't even use the lift ticket that day.

If you are going by yourself then it's really about what YOU want to do.

I am going with a group of about 40 or less maybe...They are pretty good about telling you the prices for transportation and lessons...I am only going to take lessons for a day then hang out on the green slopes for the two days.

Ski lessons are $90 and roundtrip transportation to the airport and resort is $70.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 am 

As someone who put in over 40 days at alta, just up canyon of snowbird in '08, I'd make a couple of suggestions.

Depending on your age 2 or 3 days may be too much, and it may not be enough. You'll be picking yourself up off the ground a lot and it can get cold and wet, and very tiring. The good news is, if you're into alcohol, there is always plenty to do. And as along as you have cash, they keep the entertainment going.

You can pay by the day, but you pay more. If you stay in the valley, you can save $5 or so picking them up in ski shops down there. Alta used to have a ski free after 3 on their green slopes, so if you get a little tired and are cheap like me, you may be able to Lounge around until 3 and hitch a ride up to alta to practice a bit. Last I checked, the alta after 3 thing was more of a daddy daughter type of thing, but I could be wrong.

I've never skied snowbird, but it looks pretty intense for a beginner. I'm sure they have their bunny hill though. The point is, it's not like keystone with a bajillion mile green run like schoolmarm. Probably the best for learning is copper in Colorado, as their learning area is totally isolated.

If three days, I'd do half day lessons. Learn in the morning, practice in the afternoon at your own pace. Or 1st day, full day lesson, 2nd and 3rd half day. Lessons help, and if you can spill the cash, a private (maybe sPlit with a person or two you are going with) are well worth it. I've been skiing since I was 8, can ski anything and still take lessons. I book on a Wednesday or thurs in jan feb when it is slow and usually end up with a private lesson. But, that is because I am advanced and it leaves the I instructors salivating about a good day skiing Instead talkings pizzas and French fries.

Rent all equip. If you think you will do more, buy boots only.

Good luck. I can answer any questions you may have about skiing or Utah.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 pm 

Bichon Frise wrote:
As someone who put in over 40 days at alta, just up canyon of snowbird in '08, I'd make a couple of suggestions.

Depending on your age 2 or 3 days may be too much, and it may not be enough. You'll be picking yourself up off the ground a lot and it can get cold and wet, and very tiring. The good news is, if you're into alcohol, there is always plenty to do. And as along as you have cash, they keep the entertainment going.

You can pay by the day, but you pay more. If you stay in the valley, you can save $5 or so picking them up in ski shops down there. Alta used to have a ski free after 3 on their green slopes, so if you get a little tired and are cheap like me, you may be able to Lounge around until 3 and hitch a ride up to alta to practice a bit. Last I checked, the alta after 3 thing was more of a daddy daughter type of thing, but I could be wrong.

I've never skied snowbird, but it looks pretty intense for a beginner. I'm sure they have their bunny hill though. The point is, it's not like keystone with a bajillion mile green run like schoolmarm. Probably the best for learning is copper in Colorado, as their learning area is totally isolated.

If three days, I'd do half day lessons. Learn in the morning, practice in the afternoon at your own pace. Or 1st day, full day lesson, 2nd and 3rd half day. Lessons help, and if you can spill the cash, a private (maybe sPlit with a person or two you are going with) are well worth it. I've been skiing since I was 8, can ski anything and still take lessons. I book on a Wednesday or thurs in jan feb when it is slow and usually end up with a private lesson. But, that is because I am advanced and it leaves the I instructors salivating about a good day skiing Instead talkings pizzas and French fries.

Rent all equip. If you think you will do more, buy boots only.

Good luck. I can answer any questions you may have about skiing or Utah.

Thank you Bichon Frise...things changed and will end up at Mt. Tremblandt, Quebec Canada isncec it is easier on my pocket. I am looking for ways to workout so that skiing can be easier to get used to wshen I do go. I was thinking rollerblades.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 pm 

fantasma wrote:
Thank you Bichon Frise...things changed and will end up at Mt. Tremblandt, Quebec Canada isncec it is easier on my pocket. I am looking for ways to workout so that skiing can be easier to get used to wshen I do go. I was thinking rollerblades.

Fantasma, that's actually a great idea. I remember the first skiing of the year always made my muscles sore in ways other exercising did not. Especially since you're doing more than one day in a row, you don't want to be held back. Rollerblading is probably a good one, as would be squats. Around when are you planning to go? I hope you have a great time!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:05 pm 

How was your Skiing experience.?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 am 

LeRainDrop wrote:
fantasma wrote:

Fantasma, that's actually a great idea. I remember the first skiing of the year always made my muscles sore in ways other exercising did not. Especially since you're doing more than one day in a row, you don't want to be held back. Rollerblading is probably a good one, as would be squats. Around when are you planning to go? I hope you have a great time!

End of March in the upcoming year. I am on a squat challenge as we speak

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 am 

I dunno, for a beginner, I doubt it takes a lot of muscle training. It's not like in 3 days time you'll be crouching into your turns, digging the edges in and accelerating out of them. Or rippin sweet lines down bumps, or timing your breath in the pow so you don't inhale the snow.

I'd put core work over the legs actually for a beginner. Squats won't hurt...but what will be killer is picking yourself up off the ground on low angle slopes.

I cycle 3000-4000 miles a year, and I free heel and my leg stamina seems to be alright.

Good luck...hope it is a good time, even though you're going to Canada...ick!

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill