dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Does NetFlix portend the future of programming?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:19 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

One solution: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:09 am 

Quote:
One solution: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

I'm assuming this was in reply to me.

It's a nice idea, but I don't see that buying a new TV (to get the HDMI port), a PC-to-TV transfer device (such as AppleTV), AND various shows on iTunes just to avoid cable makes much sense, at least for me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty much Apple's target audience with the AppleTV -- I'm a Mac fanboy, I don't watch regular television, and I have a huge library of digital media — yet I haven't purchased the product, and I probably won't.

Why not?

1. It's limiting. Currently, Kris and I are able to watch our iTMS TV shows on this laptop wherever and whenever we feel like it. We're not changed to the television.
2. It's expensive.
3. There's not enough storage. If I remember right, the AppleTV currently comes with 40gb of storage (though there's strong speculation that other, higher-capacity models are in the offing). This is DUMB. Will that even hold a single season of Battlestar Galactica? If I buy an AppleTV, I want it to hold a lot of content. I don't want to have to be constantly swapping stuff off to a media server. Despite Apple's hype &mash and remember I'm an Apple fanboy — their wireless transfer rates are abysmal. I'm not thrilled by the prospect of moving stuff back-and-forth tot he AppleTV, and want to keep that to a minimum.

The AppleTV doesn't really offer me anything that my laptop doesn't already do. (In fact, because it's chained to the television, it's more limiting.) Until this changes, I'm not likely to buy one. Give me a huge hard drive or DVR capabilities and I'll consider it...

Last edited by jdroth on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:19 pm 

Quote:
I'm really envious of people who can cheerfully watch TV on their computers.

I've DONE it, but after 40 minutes of watching a 3x5 inch screen, my eyes hate me.

Just because you download a TV show, doesn't mean you have to watch it on your computer. A DVD burner combined with a DVD player that plays DivX/Xvid files is all you need to put the video on your TV set.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:14 am 

George wrote:
Just because you download a TV show, doesn't mean you have to watch it on your computer. A DVD burner combined with a DVD player that plays DivX/Xvid files is all you need to put the video on your TV set.

Yes, but again, paying at least $50 for a DivX-capable DVD player, upgrading my computer's RAM so that I could actually handle doing other things besides burning DivX discs, and continuing to spend time and money on downloading shows, just to avoid paying $15 a month for cable, adds up to a process that is not worth it to me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

We tried NetFlix for a while, but eventually ran out of titles that we really wanted to watch, so we canceled.

As far as TV goes, we just have good old rabbit ears, so we mainly just watch PBS -- except during football season, of course. But if the sun is shining, the TV is off and we are outside with the kids and the dogs.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2