Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 29 weeks to get in shape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 am 

Update!

No, I have not quit. Not at all. Decent diet during the holidays but much wine made med stay in weight, not loose any.

Last week I stayed on the diet (I eat better food than ever, and am never hungry), return to everyday wine consumption (low). I took a 3,75 km/2,3 mile run during the holidays, and another two since then. Yesterday "it" happened. Ran 4 km/2,5 miles 30-40% faster than I use to. Ran all the way - the body felt agile and warm. Magical!

I have been neglecting training like crunches, push ups and so on. Have to get started again!

The weight drop is coming by again, yesterday it was 111,5 kg/245,8 pounds, today 111,4 kg/245,6 pounds. That means 4,8 kg/10,6 pounds in the middle of week five. I need to loose another 0,2 kg/0,44 pounds until sunday to be on track with my goal!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 am 

Funny, I am at day 34 of the "29 kilos in 29 weeks project", that is 4,8 weeks (34/7) and I have lost EXACTLY 4,8 kilos. The fast weightloss I took in the beginning, that made me ahead of the goal has been consumed with the slack with alcohole over christmas and newyears.

Whatever. I just ran 3,75 km. Again at little faster pace - all the way. Feels SO good.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 pm 

Update, monday week 6, day 39. Weight 110,9 kg (244,5 pounds), minus 5,3 kg (11,7 pounds). On track! Been alone with kids this weekens so no running. Today I will go for a 4 km run and do some workout!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 am 

Keep up the great work, Northern light! I started my own health/fitness changes on Saturday, January 5. As of January 12, I'm down 4.0 pounds. I know the first week is typically the best, but I'm motivated to keep it up. I think the biggest difference for me was to include a fruit or vegetable with every single meal and snack. I had a crazy week at work, so I barely exercised at all in that first week.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:42 am 

Thanks LeRainDrop! Good work, you have lost alot - fast?! I stoped eating fruit 39 days ago...

Did not run today, took a bikeride 40 minutes instead, had to visit a store 6-7 km away. Good to alterante a bit. Weighed in after lunch: 110,8 kg. Feels magical!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm 

Have you heard of "meatless mondays" LRD? Probably not what NL wants to do but it's a great way to get more fruits and veggies into your diet.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm 

I eat more vegetables now than ever. Both quantity various types. Dinner today was fish feta, mushrooms stew (made of cream obviously) and vegetables made in the oven. As a night snack - 1/4 glass of red winw and some brie. Everything you need. :P

Meat, fish, chicken - eggs. Great food! Fruit on the other hand is loads of sugar. Hard to loose weight on.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

DoingHomework, no, I don't think I've heard of "Meatless Mondays" before, but that's certainly a fun idea! I already have chicken planned for dinner, though, but maybe I'll implement it next week. I actually don't eat meat everyday anyway, but it could be neat to make that a regular Monday thing.

Northern light, yes, fruit does contain natural sugars, but the vast majority of nutritional studies I have seen include it as part of a balanced diet and as a tool for successful weight loss, particularly when it's used to replace snacking that otherwise would have no nutritional benefits, like chips, ice cream, etc. Fruit contains essential nutrients and is filling. And it's not always fruit I have with my meals/snacks, but it could otherwise be a veggie. (The practice is to have at least one fruit OR veggie with every meal and snack.) In any event, not that the first week of a diet change is worth everything, but it is working for me so far. I have never feel deprived yet and don't even crave the desserts that were a standard part of my eating through January 4. So, I will be sticking with this plan for now and see how it's working out over the next several weeks :-)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 am 

LRD
But sugar in fruit plays tricks on your blood sugar the same way a coke does. It makes you lively for an hour or so, and then tired - craving for more. Loosing weight is about eating less then your body consumes, so even though you could loose weight eating candy in theory, it will play tricks on your blood sugar and will undoubtedly make you yield to hunger. The thing with LCHF is that you eat stuff that keeps you satisfied (not hungry) and balances your blood sugar.

The other day I had two scrambled eggs, bacon and vegetables for breakfast (as usual). The day did not go as I expected; I had to skip lunch. I only started to be really hungry at 4 PM, some eight hours after breakfast! The amount of calories I consumed from 8AM to 4-5PM (8-9 hours) was perhaps 1/8 of what my body consumes in 24 hours. And I did not push myself in any way.

The biggest problem is not starting to loose some weight, it is going the full way to "normal weight" and stay there. The reason I would say is painful diets that demand a heroic effort that most people can stand only for so long. I have never felt really confident in reaching hard goals (normal BMI) as far as weight and fitness goes, even less so keeping me there when (if) I get there. Today I feel very confident in reaching my goal, and staying there simply because the method is easy and comfortable (beer excluded).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 am 

rosesnowm wrote:
So happy to hear about that.

About what?

bizsuper wrote:
is that real? i m so glad if i can do it

What is real?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm 

Are there any studies that prove that EVERYONE does better on a LCHF diet? Some people, absolutely. My best friend is what some would call carb sensitive. But I know a few people who went low carb and continuously felt ill even after the first "detox" (or whatever you call it) period. For myself, my system doesn't always handle fat well so the "high fat" tells me I wouldn't enjoy that diet.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 pm 

catchingup wrote:
Are there any studies that prove that EVERYONE does better on a LCHF diet?

Except from dairy products, this is pretty much what people used to eat before agriculture hit it off (8.000-10.000 years ago). Mankind is "a bit" older than agriculture, so I would say this is in a sence the way we where designed (through evolution) to eat.

Another thing is how we use our body. Before agruculture mankind spent most of their days collecting food. Walking and running.

Who lives like this? LCHF-eating postmen? :$

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 pm 

Northern light wrote:
Except from dairy products, this is pretty much what people used to eat before agriculture hit it off (8.000-10.000 years ago). Mankind is "a bit" older than agriculture, so I would say this is in a sence the way we where designed (through evolution) to eat.

That doesn't actually answer my question, so I'll ask this instead- are there any studies showing that what was done 8-10,000 years ago is best for us today? Again, for everyone. I acknowledge that there are SOME people who do much better on LCHF diets.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 am 

catchingup wrote:
are there any studies showing that what was done 8-10,000 years ago is best for us today?

Don´t know. I do know that evolution works wonders, but seldom much in only 8.000 years.

There are multiple reports from missionarys in the 19:th and 20:th century that tells of people in Africa with all teeth (white) in place into their 50:s even though they never brushed their teeth - and more or less lacked multiple of todays medical issues. Many also reported that this changed as soon as people assumed a "western style diet".

Why does the obesity epidemic in the US (and elsewhere) from the 1980:s correlate perfect with actions taken at that time to lower cholesterol? It seems, regardless if LCHF is the optimal diet for everyone (it seems nothing will ever be,
scientifically), it´s better than what most westerners eat today. Maybee we have to settle at that?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 am 

110,6 kg (243,8 pounds) at lunchtime yesterday. Lost 5,6 kg (12,3 pounds) in 41 days. In the middle of week six I should have lost about 5,5 kg so I am right on track. I have gone from BMI of about 33,3 to 31,6 (-5,1%). The ultimate goal (29 kg), happens to be BMI 24,9 - "normal". That is a 25,2% drop of BMI. Not the best fourth of me. :D

Took a 3½ km run yesterday in snowstorm and 4-5 inches of snow.

Feel great.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next