Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 29 weeks to get in shape
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm 

Northern light wrote:
Took a 3½ km run yesterday in snowstorm and 4-5 inches of snow.

Now I feel guilty. With high temperatures of only 5 C or less this past week in Arizona I have completely skipped any kind of workout in favor of staying inside keeping warm. Good for you although I think I'd have been out cross country skiing instead of running.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm 

It's amazing up here in Montréal to see the dedication of joggers, bicyclists, and outdoor aerobics enthusiasts (we have an Energie-Cardio group that meets for outdoor aerobics a couple of times per week in the park near my house). They're outside regardless of the conditions, even when the temperature is well below zero Fahrenheit. Two weeks ago it was 7 below zero F and I still saw plenty of joggers and even a bicyclist out on the streets. You have to cover your mouth and nose to avoid breathing in that super-cold air.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:31 pm 

brad wrote:
They're outside regardless of the conditions, even when the temperature is well below zero Fahrenheit.

I notice you said "They're" rather than "We're"

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
brad wrote:
They're outside regardless of the conditions, even when the temperature is well below zero Fahrenheit.

I notice you said "They're" rather than "We're"

:lol:

Yes, I have a rowing machine in the basement, that's how I get most of my exercise in winter. Although when the snow conditions are good (which they were for a short time and hopefully will be again soon), I cross-country ski. The bike paths here are maintained for x-c skiing in winter, it's great.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:21 am 

Update!

No excersise at all wednesday-thursday. Weight friday morning (wait for it) 109,6 kg! I lost 6,6 kg in 43 days! I am ahead of the goal. Still feel great. At 1:19 PM it´s 5:20 h since breakfast (last meal), and I manage. Now I am hungry and will eat mozarella, tomatoes and some meat. Minus 12 celsius outside. Sunny and beutiful. Running tonight, probably minus 15 by then. Sweating might not be a problem. Excellent!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm 

Oops, I forgot to check back in on Saturday at my two week mark -- on that day, another 2.2 lbs down for a total of 6.2 in two weeks. I'm quite happy with that given that it was a difficult week of business travel with extremely limited food options and no time for exercise except Friday. 10 lbs from "normal" BMI.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

Update. Too little (none) exercise. Very cold around here; minus 15-16 degrees celsius. But that is just excuses. I could run anyway. Weight today with a bit of clothes on, at dinner time (use to weigh in first thing in the morning): 109,4 kg (241,2 pounds). 6,8 kg (15 pounds) lighter than 47 days ago! That is just the diet working for me. I just have to hit 109,2 kg/-7 kg untill sunday and I am on track. Feels EXCELLENT!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm 

Yay on the continued progress!

It's very cold here too, going down to -26°C tonight (with wind chill it will feel -39°C). I did go for an hour-long brisk walk today to pick up some groceries, but no skiing for me today!

One thing to consider for cold weather: there's a good book called You Are Your Own Gym, by Mark Lauren: http://www.marklauren.com. There's an accompanying smartphone app that I've been using (I don't have the book; the app is enough). It involves using your own bodyweight instead of weights or other equipment; it's a little misleading as you do need some equipment such as a chair, some basketballs, a few heavy books, etc., but most of the exercises don't involve anything but your body. It's a strenuous workout and very effective, and can be done indoors when the weather outside is frightful.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 am 

Thanks brad! I have a similar book. Problem is I mostly go for cardio (running). But home workout is great!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm 

You're making a common mistake that most people make when they cut fruit from their low-carb diet. Just because fruit has sugar in it doesn't mean you should cut it from your diet. At worst, cut high-sugar fruits and leave the lower ones in your diet. They're filled with so many amazing nutrients and vitamins, and if you think replacing those with high fat sauces and meats is good just because you're losing out on some sugar, you're wrong.

Just my $0.02, but I'm in the nutrition course of my 2nd year in medical school, and we're literally discussing right now the misconception of dropping fruits from diets to avoid sugar.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm 

elohel, thanks for your comments on fruits. I'm not in the nutrition or medical field, but the health classes I did take and other reading has led me to a similar line of thinking. On my health/fitness plan, fruits and veggies are encouraged, as they provide essential nutrients, are fiber rich, help create a full feeling, and are certainly better alternatives to snacking on things like cookies, ice cream, or chips. My current favorite fruits are clementines, strawberries, blueberries, and sometimes apples.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am 

elohel wrote:
They're filled with so many amazing nutrients and vitamins, and if you think replacing those with high fat sauces and meats is good just because you're losing out on some sugar, you're wrong.

I eat loads of vegetables, so I´ll be fine. Note that during these 29 weeks I do some more drastic stuff. After that I think I will have a little bit of fruit, but keeping it at 4-6 fruits per week. I might also have a beer or two every now and then. If you want to loose weight though, cutting fruit is effective.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 am 

Fast update!
Morning weight thursday: 107,7 kg! Lost 8,5 kg (18,7 pounds) in 50 days! Since this is my week seven, I should end the week at 109,2 kg/-7 kg according to the plan. I am way ahead! Less workout, more weight loss?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 pm 

Doh, only 1.2 lbs lost during week 3. Down a total of 7.4 lbs in 21 days. Gotta step up my exercise game! To be fair, this plan is designed for 1 to 2 lbs per week, so I'm still on target.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:36 am 

Bought some new clothes. Had to. This summer I bought a pair of size 38 jeans. They where kind of tight. Used them until the other day. Can´t possibly use the belt to make them stay up any longer. Looks awful too. Bought a pair size 36 but retirned them since they where kind of loose fit after an hour on at home (tags still on). Changed for another, tighter model. Still 36 though. Tried 34 on. Got them "on" but need to loose another inch or so before I could button them. A month or two and you are mine! Also used to buy XL t-shirts. Normal fit. Now bought large. They will become loose fit soon, but I can use that. New jacket, size large - like glove! Will sell my kind of expensive winter jacket (XL), it´s way too big. Buy another next season, size M or L.

Feels like payday.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next