Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Post subject: Re: Brand Spanking New! Goodchap's Fitness Journal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am 

VinTek wrote:
BTW, why go back to a text/voice phone? You can still use the iPhone as one, and have data via WiFi when you have access to it.

I wish I could, but I can't. TECHNICALLY, it is possible for the iPhone to operate without a data plan by accessing the WIFI in my house or all across the nation, BUT ATT will not let you do that. I found this out when ATT accidentally removed the data plan from my DH's phone when we were doing some switching around and everything worked just fine. Believe me, I've tried to convince them that I didn't need the data plan b/c I hook up to my own WIFI, but they were not having it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 am 

brad wrote:
You should check out the $10/month iPhone plan, as described by Mr Money Mustache:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/11/our-new-10-00-per-month-iphone-plans/

Oh hell yes I will! My contract is up in July, but my DHs is not until 5/2014. Maybe I'll get to keep using my iPhone after all. It is so terribly convenient...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:05 am 

goodchap wrote:
Oh hell yes I will! My contract is up in July, but my DHs is not until 5/2014. Maybe I'll get to keep using my iPhone after all. It is so terribly convenient...

Setting up the $10/month solution looks complicated and a hassle, but whenever I debate with myself about going through this much trouble I figure out my hourly rate: if it takes 4 hours of cussing to set it all up but I save $1,200/year for the next five years, I'm effectively making $1,500/hour. Sold.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 am 

VinTek wrote:
That includes a 25% discount from my company. You might want to send a note from your company e-mail address (or your husband's address) to see if you qualify for a discount. You can do this from https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/.

I have been getting a 15% discount on the base service plan of $50 plus the $20 I pay for the two extra lines, which equates to a $10.50 savings.

In other news, I talked to my internet company to see if I could reduce my bill. I've been paying for internet plus getting "free" cable for the past year. The company recently changed hands and is going digital. When they make the change, I'll have the option to drop the "free" cable access that I've been getting for the past year, which I thought I was getting for free b/c I have the lowest internet speed possible (which is still absolutely fine). So I'll be dropping the "cable" I've been getting for "free" and my internet bill willd drop from $68.23/month to $45/month plus taxes. Every little bit helps, right? I'm going to find a good and cheap digital indoor antenna to pick up the basic stations around here. We never watch regular TV except the Saturday morning cartoons. We do have a netflix $7.99 subscripton, but I lump that expense into MISC.

And we're getting a nice tax return of more than $2K due to the gobs of interest we've paid out this year for student loans and a new mortgage. It's going into our e-fund.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm 

We had a free home energy audit done on our house this week. We live in the north and recently experienced a series of below ZERO temperatures. I've been on the waiting list for over a year for this.

We learned a ton of very cheap and easy ways to seal up our house, involving Blue Great Stuff Foam, foil tape, and rope caulk. We're going to be sealing the shit out of our house over the next few months! The auditor told us that dropping $5K on doors is not necessary, that our doors really aren't that bad, and that simply sealing them up would be a better idea. We also learned that we need another 10 inches of cellulose insulation blown into our attic space, so my DH will be enlisting the help of a buddy this spring to make it happen.

Did you know that spiderwebs are often a sign of an air leak around windows, doors, and furnace ductwork? Imagine that.

Plus we received a FREE programmable thermostat and a FREE water saving hand-held showerhead to make washing my DD's hair a whole lot easier. Both of these items were on my list of things to buy, so by taking 2 minutes to call our energy company and remaining on the wait list for over a year, I saved our family a bit of money.

We also learned that our furnace has another 10 years, at least. And that our water heater is older than dirt (original to house, 1974), but once it bites the dust we should look into an electric on-demand water heater. Gas would be more efficient, I know, but the cost to run a gas line might prove to be disadvantageous. But I would also love a gas stove...

Budgeting is going well. Although I'm dreaming about a cruise. February is the worst winter month. I'm 29 weeks pregnant and stressed at work. I have a long list of baby essentials to pick up, but I don't want to spend any money. Correction, I WANT to spend money, I just don't have any to spare.

We're likely going to use our tax return in two ways this month: Put $1000 on the VISA balance and put $1000 into the E-Fund. In past years we've just blown it on crap for the house, like TVs and a new washer and dryer. Progress...

The thought crossed my mind to play to lotto this week. I need about $230K to get out of debt completely. Car $27K, Student Loans $70K, House $130K, Consumer Debt $8K. Where's my rich uncle? Doesn't anyone have $250K to spare. This is HARD work.

Progress:
VISA = $6,021.54
Home Improvement Loan = $2235

Debt Reduction since Original Post: $1000

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm 

goodchap wrote:
Did you know that spiderwebs are often a sign of an air leak around windows, doors, and furnace ductwork? Imagine that.

Oh boy, we're in trouble then. Long ago we nicknamed our place "Spiderhaus," because we have a very healthy population of spiders living inside year-round.

Great that you got an energy audit, I need to get one of those done myself! We need to put plastic up on the windows but haven't gotten around to it because we don't have a blow-dryer.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 pm 

brad wrote:
We need to put plastic up on the windows but haven't gotten around to it because we don't have a blow-dryer.

The guy told us that plastic is great, like an extra pane of glass. But if you don't want the hassle (or need to be able to open your windows in the winter sometimes...), buy some Rope Caulk and slap in into any window/door seals where you can feel a draft or see spiderwebs waving in the air. He even talked us out of spending $5K on doors...saying that the payoff is hardly worth it. PAINT itself is a great sealant, so make sure your trim joints around your windows/doors are nice and tight. Also between the sub floor and the furnace vents that come up through the floor, you can wrap foil tape.

Liquid Caulk + Rope Caulk + Window/Door Great Stuff Foam + Attic Insulation + Foil Tape = a GREAT start to home energy savings.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am 

Just checking in...

Visa Balance: $4608.70
Home Improvement Loan: $2210.00
Savings: $3500 (ALL: Home Imp, Car Repairs, Maternity Leave, Emergency Fund)

My baby girl is due in 5 weeks and I have hardly bought a thing because I don't want to spend our savings. I nearly broke down in (hormonal) tears in Home Depot yesterday b/c there are a million things we "need" to fix up our house (powerwasher, paint for the siding) and enjoy the backyard this summer (small inflatable pool, hammock, lawn chairs, a swing set), but we are being aggressive about debt repayment. We are also struggling with the fact that we share a vehicle and need a truck to pick up a few things around the state that have been given to us including a canoe and a patio table. So today I don't feel so great about debt reduction and I have that "my kids are only young once" thought running through my mind on repeat. :worried: I've been dreaming about financing a truck and going on a shopping spree...somebody kick me, please. Or at least tell me this is a normal part of paying off debts and that I will get through this.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3