Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 29 weeks to get in shape
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm 

Down only 0.6 lbs this last week, for a total of 8.0 lbs in 4 weeks. On the positive side, I'm down one pants size!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 am 

Update!
9,5 kg weight loss! Ran 4½ km todag. Never felt better/faster/lighter!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:18 pm 

Northern light wrote:
16 days ago I started a light, daily workout (see below) and eating healthy food. I started following a pretty strict http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Carb_High_Fat diet since I already eat partially that way. I never enyoyed light products and always have chicken, fish or meat in lunch/dinner. I simply excluded sugary junk and carbohydrate food like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc. I stopped eating fruit. I eat more meat, vegetables, fatty sauces, egg etc. A typical breakfast is one scrambled egg and 60 grams (0,13 pounds) of bacon and some vegetable.

I am not a sucker for candy or salty stuff like chips so excluding this is not really an issue. What I thought would be hard is skipping the ice cream - my health weakness. I have found that the "sugar craving" is beeing limited after only 4-5 days on the LCHF diet, and as of today the "sugar craving" is limited. Another weakness is beer (liquid bread). I really enyoy 4-8 cold 33 cl (11,1 oz) Carlsberg lager a typical weekend, and also when visiting the pub or having dinner out. I have promised myself to not drink beer for 29 weeks, until june 30 2013. I will have "limited" red wine, sparkling wine and spirits (the later is easy since I seldom drink it).

So, to sum it up I would say I eat tastier food than before, I am never hungry, I have a couple of glasses of wine on the weekend but no beer, no ice cream, no fruit and no pasta/potatoes/rice etc. Yesterday we made "cheese chips" with a tasty, fatty cheese. It was OK but not beeing a sucker for chips in the first place it will not be a regular thing. Nice to have a snack for the red wine by the TV though.

Results

• Most fascinating might be the lack of sugar craving - it´s amazing!
  • I have lost 4,2 kg (9,2 pounds) in 16 days. I have never droped weight that fast, that easy. What I have read, there is a fast initial weight drop and then more like two pounds per week in the long run.
  • With this diet, I am satisfied (not hungry) with less food as far as mass go. I never feel "full", or bulging stomach the way I do after eating pasta, potaotes and so on.

Workout
Jogging 20-30 min every second day and fast pace walk 30-40 min other days. I alternate pushups, situps, back/shoulders etc (10-15 min/day). I hate gyms so I like to keep it easy. In time I will challenge myself more, running 6-10 km 2-3 times a week. Since I have no need for a ripped, muscular body I will not increase the muscular workout.

The goal
Pretty much to get to where I were when I was 19-20 years old and made the enrollment test for the armed forces (excellent score, offered to join elite force). I was 187 cm (6 feet, two inches), weighed 88 kg (194 pounds), had a 33-34 waist and ran 8-9 km (5-6 miles) two, three times a week. I could run one kilometer in 3:20 min and 10 km (6,2 miles) in 44 minutes. I was a linebacker in the highschool football team.

The actual goal is reaching 87 kg (192 pounds), which would put me at BMI 24,9 ("normal"). Since I weighed 116,2 kg (256 pounds) 16 days ago, that mean loosing 29 kg (64 pounds). I have made a 29 week plan to do this, 30th of june that is. I have lost 4,2 kg of the 29 (14,5%) in the first 16 days (7,9% of 29 weeks) which feels amazing. I have started easy 20-30 min (3½ kilometers or 2,2 miles) jogging every other day and already starting to feel a difference. At first I jogged 300-400 meters and then walked for 30 seconds. Now I can "run" (slowly) 80-90% of the time. I will keep this at a very slow, easy level for 4-10 weeks in order to get my body ready, and loose some more weight before I start a more challenging workout. In the long term my goal is to run 6-10 km (3,75-6,25 miles) 2-3 times a week.

That is great and the goal for reaching 87 KG in 29 weeks seems challenging and you have lost 4.2 kgs in only 16 days makes sound too cool, and that your dedication towards your goal will make it happen inside that frame of 29 week, best of luck for the goal.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 am 

Last week was not good. Followed diet 80-90% but no workout. More or less kept my weight and got nowhere with stamina. Weight about 107 kg (-9,2 kg) in the morning. This beeing week nine that´s OK, but I am not ahead any more.

Signed up for a new job today. One of the worlds safest banks. I am excited! In a couple of months I will start to ride my bike to work!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:13 am 

End of week 11. Weight 106,5 kg. Weight loss 9,7 kg. I am 1,3 kg behind after two weeks of careless detail of diet. Part of the blame is that I tried a alcohol free wine. Seems it is very sweet and messes up my diet.

Interesting that even though I am careless, I don´t gain weight - I just loose it a bit slower!

Another observation, quite fun, is a startling difference in frequency of "long looks" I get from fairly attractive women on the street. The fact that I spent $2.000 on clothes last months might contribute - but I hope that is not the only reason. :$

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am 

Northern light wrote:
Another observation, quite fun, is a startling difference in frequency of "long looks" I get from fairly attractive women on the street. The fact that I spent $2.000 on clothes last months might contribute - but I hope that is not the only reason. :$

Well, as ZZ Top so eloquently put it, "Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man." Congrats on your progress so far.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 am 

Update!
I cut back on alcohole free wine and kept to my diet, but last 8-12 days have felt like I go nowhere. But I did! Weigt this morning - to my surprise - 104,4 kg! So, the last day of week 12 my wight loss is 11,8 kg! I am almost back on track with the goal! Great weather today - will go for a run.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 am 

Update!
Just ended week 14 of my 29 week project and the weight is 103,2 kg (227,5 pounds). That means I lost exactly 13 kg (28,7 pounds). One kilo behind. I was 1,9 kg behind week 11, just to find I was pretty much on track week 12. Before week 9-10 I lost a kilo per week like a clock, since then more uneven between the weeks - but still loosing weight at a decent pace. Very little exersice. My inability to get this done makes me frustrated.

Another thing. Beeing 186-187 cm tall, I am no longer "obese", but merely "overwight", with BMI at 29,8. My BMI is now 11,3% lower than when I started. That said, BMI is not an optimal calculation for me. I am big and bulky regardless of fat. I can soon have size 34 inch pants, and wonder what size I will be if I loose another 16 kg (that is; BMI 24,9 - just about "normal")...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am 

Congrats on your continued progress! I agree about BMI, it's next to useless. I'm 6'4" and 180 pounds; my BMI is 22, which is solidly in the "normal" category, but my waist size is about 38 inches, which is solidly in the "unhealthy" category. The only way to shrink my belly is to lose weight overall, which will bring my BMI down to about 20, at the low end of normal. I've been about 10 pounds over my ideal weight for a while, so in mid-February I decided to lose it; I've lost 5 pounds so far so am halfway to my goal of 175 pounds; I'll see what my waist size is when I get there ;-) I inherited my father's skinny build and propensity to develop a pot belly.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 am 

Brad
That is an interesting figure! Replace the pot belly with muscles on shoulders, chest and legs?

I have often met people who think they weigh more than me (bigger pot belly) just to find I weigh 10 kg more than them. I am built to be a medieval berserk I guess. Not so useful these days.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:20 pm 

Low Carbohydrate diets are probably the most amazing thing to come into style in the past decade. My only concern with them in general is that while you lose weight amazingly fast, it only stays off as long as you're on the diet. For drastic weight loss sometimes this is great and it gets people to a new set point - but such an extreme diet can often be difficult to maintain over a long period of time.

It will be interesting when you decide to slowly phase carbs back in (if ever) - because a lot of my friends find it difficult and they gain a significant amount of weight back. I find what works best for me is instead of cutting out food groups, just concentrating on "eating healthy foods" and eating in moderation is what works best. This is also because I have terrible self discipline and absolutely love bread - but you don't have to stop eating it completely to get into shape!

Anyways, congrats on your success and keep it up!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm 

Woohoo -- today I reached my goal exactly! 16 lbs down in 13 weeks (longer than I wanted, but I'll take it). The "have a fruit and/or veggie every time you eat" habit has really stuck and is working for me. Bring on the spring and summer! 8) NL, hope you're still doing well, too!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 am 

Update!
I am stalling. Weight 103,2 kg. Exactly the same as march 19/week 14. Now it is the end of week 16 and I am 3 kg behind my goal. I have been a bit sloppy with diet - but just a little. Spring is in the air so now I don´t have any reason not to work out (even if that will not help me loose weight very much). I will just keep at it.

Bought more clothes - really fun! Feel great.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm 

Northern light wrote:
End of week 11. Weight 106,5 kg. Weight loss 9,7 kg. I am 1,3 kg behind after two weeks of careless detail of diet. Part of the blame is that I tried a alcohol free wine. Seems it is very sweet and messes up my diet.

Interesting that even though I am careless, I don´t gain weight - I just loose it a bit slower!

Is this supposed to be 2000.00 or 2.00?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 am 

fantasma wrote:
Northern light wrote:
The fact that I spent $2.000 on clothes last months might contribute - but I hope that is not the only reason. :$

Is this supposed to be 2000.00 or 2.00?

Northern light is European, so probably $2,000 (they use periods instead of commas, and commas instead of periods, in numbers). I think he's saying he revamped his wardrobe and that might be part of why he's getting so many good looks from women lately. Quite a bit of money, but good for him on the positive attention!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next