Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 am

Post subject: Re: Professional Development Ideas
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 pm 

For those looking for professional development, consider the Dale Carnegie Course. Most of the students who take this course are sent by their employers, so see if there is training available in your area and if your employer would be willing to foot the bill. I recently took this course and I don't think any other experience has stretched me like this one has. It was truly one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever done, but really worth it.

Also, if you are looking for development as far as presentations and expanding your comfort zone, consider joining Toastmasters. I believe there might be dues you have to pay, but it is minimal. This is especially a good option if you don't have an employer who is willing to pay the bill. I personally haven't joined a Toastmasters club but am considering it. If any of you have joined, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Don't be passive about your finances: http://thefinancialreader.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 pm 

In the company that I work, we openly discuss our plan to move ahead in our career with the superiors like the Team Leaders, even with the directors and they are happy to give advices for the same as to how to get the career flourished in the organisation and what skills would be required to advance to the next level.
The bosses and the superiors are really helpful and co-ordinative to the employees and are ready to help those who require their advices on any matter related to work. :D

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm 

That's awesome. Unfortunately my job doesnt care nor do they want to know if you have plans to leave especially if you've been trained.

Nowadays I keep my mouth shut. Learn what I can, work on myself as a professional to eventually be where I envision myself.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:05 pm 

I've had success using linkedin.

I look at people who have the job title i'm looking for and look to see what skills or experience they have that i don't. Then I try to find ways to get that experience in my current position, usually by volunteering to take on projects or work i don't normally do.

When I wanted to move to accounting from admin work, i took on budgeting and reconciling, which gave me a chance to get skills with accounting software and the general ledger. That gave me a big boost in getting hired in accounting.

Now I'm in AP, but I'm planning my move in 2-3 years to corporate accounting. So I'm volunteering to write procedures, do journal entries and work on the financial statements for our small subsidiaries - work normally done by interns over in corp. accounting.

It's a great way if you are looking to change career paths or even just move to a different industry.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 pm 

These are some great ideas. I especially like the one about looking at the linkedin profiles in my network and figuring out a plan on gaining experience.

I've also taken advantage of access to web based training that I have available through work; this has given me insight on my interests.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:17 pm 

Fantasma, I've moved into a different role this year and with my new manager, we have candid conversations about career direction and career development. So far, so good. How are things going for you?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm 

You should follow this ideas

Rise above competition

Meditate

Set Goals

Do not follow masses

Focus on right things

Conquer Fear

Develop good habits

Read Self-help books

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:31 am 

Thanks for sharing the information.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2