dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - What are Fiscal Fitness Journals?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:14 am

Post subject: What are Fiscal Fitness Journals?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Elsewhere in these forums, Croz wrote:

Quote:
One fitness site I participate in offers a section of the forum for http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10. Anyone can start one. They post their goals, their workouts, their diets, their accomplishments and setbacks. Others read them, provide suggestions, critiques, and motivation. Often, you can find someone who started out in, or is in your situation, and has the same goals. They can be a good source for reinforcement and motivation.

Most importantly, the desire to keep updating your journal with regular postings is a motivator to stay focused on your goals.

What about a section here for "Fiscal Fitness" journals? Everyone's goal doesn't have to be the same, some might want a house, some might want to be debt free, etc. They post their goals and provide regular updates on their progress.

This is an excellent idea. I'm even going to start my own journal where you can read all about my inner battles over whether to buy comic books or not! :)

IMPORTANT TIPS
  • It's up to you how personal want to get with your fiscal fitness journal.
  • This is the internet. Nothing is private. Consider this as you post. If you don't want it googled, make darn sure your alias is secure, or don't post it. Also beware of identity theft. (I'll remove anything that I think is blatantly dangerous, such as account numbers.)
  • Other users will read your journal. They're free to offer constructive criticism and to offer advice. Be thoughtful when you leave feedback, and in return take feedback in the spirit it was intended.
  • Be honest! This isn't a space for perfection. This a space for sharing your progress from where you are now to the place you want to be. Share your goals. Share your setbacks. Tell us how you feel.
  • There are no right or wrong answers here.

I hope that this proves to be a useful space. As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 pm 

Awesome area JD! I believe one way we can really keep motivated about certain projects is to surround ourselves with people that encourage us.

squished

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm 

squished18 wrote:
Awesome area JD! I believe one way we can really keep motivated about certain projects is to surround ourselves with people that encourage us.

I agree wholeheartedly. Another great way to do this type of thing is with a targeted feed aggregator (http://trainingsyndicate.com/ is my favourite for fitness sites, seeing as John Stone was mentioned above).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 pm 

Is the journal area only for people in debt?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is the journal area only for people in debt?

No way! It's for anyone who is interested in keeping a public record of their progress toward financial independence. I'd actually love to see fiscal fitness journals from people further along the journey. I'd like to be able to learn from them. (Hint, hint.)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:04 pm 

LOL. But, aside from showing that I only have a mortgage (essentialy in a city where condos are more than a half mil), how would I be inspiring?!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 pm 

Consultant,

The fact that you only have mortgage debt in an area that is expensive IS inspiring. It's also a rarity. How do you do it?

You have additional financial challenges coming your way in the form of a child. I'm willing to bet that lots of people would be interested in hearing how you have/will adjust your finances to include your new family member.

Everyone has something to offer, whether they believe it or not. I learn something new from almost every conversation I have which is why I love to meet new people.

Share yourself and people will listen.

pf101

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Just wondering. How is the organization here? Is there a way I can help make it better, like putting journals into themes (debt, house, journey, young?)

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:08 pm 

I am not sure if this is the place to post this but it seems we are to give others ideas that have helped us along life's way in a financial sense,,for years I struggled with different approaches but in my mid thirties I became friends with a very wealthy man and from him I learned far more knowledge than ever I would have learned in a book so my advice to anyone wishing to succeed would be to find someone older perhaps who has acquired wealth ,offer to buy them lunch and simply asked them for ideas ,you will find in many cases it will delight them to help you and it may be far cheaper than going to school in some cases

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:45 pm 

JerichoHill wrote:
Just wondering. How is the organization here? Is there a way I can help make it better, like putting journals into themes (debt, house, journey, young?)

My thoughts are just leave them all lumped together, this way the most active threads rise to the top and those journals that see less frequent contribution tend to get left to the back burner, that way the community gets to decide which are more interesting. I think you'd also have a hard time trying to categorize them as one would hope that "debt" journals eventually transition into "savings" journals for example. I would only start to split them up once activity levels exceed the page space, and then maybe split them up by start date, alphabetically by author, or some other criterion that's easy for everyone to see so that they don't lose the threads they're interested in.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: What are Fiscal Fitness Journals?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:27 pm 

So for clarification

One thread = one person's journal? And when you want make a new journal entry just reply to your original post.

Part of my New Years Resolution is to keep a blog about my Your Money or Your Life efforts. The YMOYL practices lend themselves to the blogging format pretty easily. Maybe when I go live at the end of this month I'll post digests to a thread here. It's not going to be anything for profit, I'm thinking of hosting it on my .edu website with my employer which would forbid profit making anyway.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator