Free PF Checkup was totally worthwhile

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

honeybee

Free PF Checkup was totally worthwhile

Postby honeybee » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 am

:?: :arrow: :idea:

I just called in to the Free PF Checkup line sponsored by Kiplinger's/NAPFA (see post: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/ ... -tomorrow/) and have to report that it was totally worthwhile. The woman with whom I spoke stayed with me for over half an hour answering my questions. We really pored over everything I wanted to know, and although my situation was very complicated (foreign citizen/tax situation for 401ks), she explained what she wasn't qualified to tell me and we went over the basics and the things she did know. This was a hugely helpful tool for me and I hope anyone who has questions about retirement will give it a try. (And hey, when I have questions next round, NAPFA will get my business!)

The phone line was really busy and I got disconnected when I called, but if you listen to the recorded message, there's an email address where you can write and they'll call you back, which is what I did.

honeybee

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 am

I'd like concur with Honeybee. I called up with some admittedly general questions. One was "Should I consolidate and refi" and the PF guy said "No! You're doing just fine and you'll be more flexible if you don't when kids come along in a few years. Smart observation that I missed.
C.R.E.A.M
Government Economist
CoffeeCents - PF lessons in 15 minutes
Czar of GRS Forums.

googoo

Postby googoo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:46 am

Mine was exactly opposite. The only response I got from the Kiplinger/NAPFA checkup was a solicitation to hire a NAPFA adviser. I listed everything in detail as well as goals, etc. I didn't even get a you are on the right track, or you should boost x for retirement. All I got was that I should contact one of the NAPFA advisers.

berg

Postby berg » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm

Mine was great and worthwhile too! And I asked informed questions thanks to the blog/message board! :D

ABog

Postby ABog » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Mine was excellent as well. The guy I talked to gave me solid advice, no sales pitch, and talked with me for a good 15 minutes.

Great offer!

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:45 pm

googoo wrote:Mine was exactly opposite. The only response I got from the Kiplinger/NAPFA checkup was a solicitation to hire a NAPFA adviser. I listed everything in detail as well as goals, etc. I didn't even get a you are on the right track, or you should boost x for retirement. All I got was that I should contact one of the NAPFA advisers.

Did you get a reason like, your question was too specific?
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

CoffeeCents - PF lessons in 15 minutes

Czar of GRS Forums.

googoo

Postby googoo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:14 am

JerichoHill wrote:
googoo wrote:Mine was exactly opposite. The only response I got from the Kiplinger/NAPFA checkup was a solicitation to hire a NAPFA adviser. I listed everything in detail as well as goals, etc. I didn't even get a you are on the right track, or you should boost x for retirement. All I got was that I should contact one of the NAPFA advisers.

Did you get a reason like, your question was too specific?

I didn't ask a specific question. I asked, how am I doing? I wish I had the email response still. They didn't even ask any questions.

Return to “Personal Finance”