Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Next thing you know you'll have a solar array and a vertical-axis wind turbine, living off-the-grid.

If only there were a way to harness cat-power. Our home probably accumulates enough cat fur in a week to power all of Portland!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:19 am 

tinyhands wrote:
Next thing you know you'll have a solar array and a vertical-axis wind turbine, living off-the-grid.

Actually, I think living off the grid would be very cool. I'm not a serious environmentalist, but I do love the idea of harnessing what is there anyway to save money! I just think it would be really cool to sever that link.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: The one drawback that keeps me land-locked...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am 

is 911. I know, it works with your cell phone. I've used it. But the possibility of someone who is watching my children for me at my house not having a phone to grab quickly and call 911 is scary enough to keep me with a landline, even without the DSL that does require it. Vonage is part of your regular electricity, so in a power outage, the phone doesn't work, whereas a traditional landline is required by law to have a backup power line for just such an emergency.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:28 am 

I get a fantastic plan through a relative who works for one of the cell phone carriers. 500 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, and I believe they just added unlimited mobile-to-mobile.

I pay $10 for all this. And I've kept my landline.

Frankly, I just don't like the message that having a cell phone as a primary phone sends:

"I am available to you at any time, because my phone is always with me."

I'm not, nor do I care to be. So I have trained people to call my home phone unless I am travelling or they are reporting an actual emergency.

I do have cable VOIP, which brings the costs down some because I get everything bundled.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 am 

tinyhands wrote:

Or recycling washing machine water into the toilet or the garden.

actually, that's something I wanna do but haven't had the time to do the research.

http://www.robblatt.com
http://www.blattcavepodcasting.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Frankly, I just don't like the message that having a cell phone as a primary phone sends:

I don't really care for cell phones as a general rule. I have many complaints with them, but won't detail them here. I'm more of an e-mail kind of guy, though as the volume in my inbox has increased, I've become much worse about responding. (I respond to far more e-mail than I ever have, but still leave a lot unanswered...)

It's interesting to me that some of my friends are phone people, and others are e-mail people. The phone people respond to e-mail via phone, and the e-mail people respond to phone calls via e-mail. Each kind of person gets frustrated with the other!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:50 am 

JD,

Just to add to the confusion, don't forget about instant messenging. I'm a BlackBerry addict, which takes care of all three of these vices for me.

squished

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:12 am 

squished18 wrote:
I'm a BlackBerry addict, which takes care of all three of these vices for me.

Eee! The curse of the CrackBerry! I swear we should start a rehab for that....... :D

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:17 am 

this is a great idea.. i should suggest this to my mother.. we've had the same land line number for almost 30 years

maybe it's time to let it go.. =D save some mula!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Admin

My main worry is when the iPhone comes out. As a Mac-addict, I lust for one of these. But do I really need the expense? No way. Those things are going to cost a fortune.

How much does a Blackberry cost, by the way? What about service?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:38 am 

jdroth wrote:
My main worry is when the iPhone comes out. As a Mac-addict, I lust for one of these. But do I really need the expense? No way. Those things are going to cost a fortune.

How much does a Blackberry cost, by the way? What about service?

man i'm a mac addict myself =) i plan on getting the iphone too.. i think it's ridiculous to pay for a $600 phone.. but hey.. it's worth it in the long run since you're going to have it for two years anway (with the cingular contract).. you might as well pay for the phone you'll enjoy

as for the blackberry.. i think cingular sells them for around $200.. don't quote me on that though

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2