Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Christian people - moral guide
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am 

Eagle wrote:
Lol. So I use FN and it's biased... Then I use a source that more people seem to agree with and... It's FUD? And I'm inconsistent... Alrighty then.

You miss the point. FN is biased. MSNBC is biased. CNN less so. It's not a matter of agreeing with the source, it's about whether the source is reporting facts or opinions to further an agenda. Facts are facts whether you, I, or anyone else agrees or disagrees.

I doubt that anyone would defend the Taliban, certainly not me. But they represent an extreme sect of fundamentalism. You do not need to look halfway around the world for examples of reprehensible behavior in the name religious fundamentalism. There is the cretin who just last year was arrested for marrying underage girls (under 14). His church has at least 10000 members.

Using the Taliban's actions to paint a picture of all muslims is as crazy and ignorant as using Mr. Jeff's actions to characterize all christians. Most of us recognize the behavior of extremists for what it is and don't try to use those kinds of "facts" to further an agenda of hatred.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 pm 

Wow I had to get my popcorn out and read through (most) of this.

Personally, having Muslims infiltrate my town and throw hijabs on unwary females is not my highest concern (having a sound economy, balanced budget, and a safety net for ALL Americans is). I personally feel politics are too political right now. It used to be that representatives on both sides of the aisle could work together to pass bills and work for the common good. But poltics ESPECIALLY the political right have got that reversed. Then you have situations like Gov Christie being chastized and threatend by Murdoch. It is politically dangerous for Christie to do his job and serve his constituents, if that meant working for the "enemy". The people behind the GOP (including Murdoch) would rather have him score political points, than actually help his people.

I do have to admit, the same unease I hear about those incidents in European countries, in which a religious minority is not "blending" with the majority and using different rules, I feel the same way when I hear about protesters blocking women from using Planned Parenthood, or rules that forces women to have a transvaginal ultrasounds (for NO medical reason whatsoever) for anyone who is considering an abortion (I thought conservatives were for governmental NONinterference), censoring health textbooks during the first Bush administration, to suppression about human effects of climate change during the second Bush administration. It is crazy, and for me scary.

I was raised Greek Orthodox, and though I am not practising, one of the people I most deeply admire in all my life is my grandmother. She was a devout Greek Orthodox, and she lived her life consistent with those values; taking care of her family, being productive, frugal, and all the while humble. Despite the fact I was not a traditional stay at home mom in turn she was supportive and very proud of me. I don't always live up to her principals but I aspire towards them but as I was raised, one's religion is a deeply PERSONAL thing. I would never impose my religious beliefs on other people, it is not for me to do so. I guess what I'm saying, religion can be a good thing. Government can be a good thing, and has a certain function. But they are two seperate things.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm 

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/478/red-state-blue-state

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am 

Eagle wrote:
Actually, believing the earth is not older than 10,000 means I have faith that my God who I believe is powerful enough to have created a man fully grown can make a universe that seems older than it is?

Believing the earth is less than a few billion years old requires faith. Just because you don’t understand faith or agree with it doesn’t mean you have the right to diminish its value by implying faith in God automatically requires a lack of intelligence. Once again how very tolerant of you. ;)

As a Christian, I don't believe that the exact age of the Earth can be determined. Many of us are adamant that the Earth is 6000 years old & by extension mankind has also been around for 6000 years...plus or minus a couple of centuries as a margin of error.

My question is if 6000 is correct then that would make the Earth's creation date approximately 4000 BC, wouldn't? If that's correct then how do you reconcile time, as we know it, before & afterwards to fit in that 6000 year timeframe?

The answer is that you can't.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

Tightwad wrote:
As a Christian, I don't believe that the exact age of the Earth can be determined. Many of us are adamant that the Earth is 6000 years old & by extension mankind has also been around for 6000 years...plus or minus a couple of centuries as a margin of error.

My question is if 6000 is correct then that would make the Earth's creation date approximately 4000 BC, wouldn't? If that's correct then how do you reconcile time, as we know it, before & afterwards to fit in that 6000 year timeframe?

That's true, but it goes WAY beyond that. There are man-made structures way older than that.

I suppose science could be grossly wrong about everything, even though the scientific evidence for a broad range of knowledge is both overwhelming and consistent.

Maybe god is trying to trick us by planting all kinds of confounding evidence.

Doesn't it make more sense that the earth is billions of years old, and all that other stuff, and that maybe someone's watch/calendar wasn't quite using the same units as we do these days?

All it takes is a little bit of critical thinking. But I realize that critical thinking is actively discouraged by certain groups.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
Tightwad wrote:

That's true, but it goes WAY beyond that. There are man-made structures way older than that.

I suppose science could be grossly wrong about everything, even though the scientific evidence for a broad range of knowledge is both overwhelming and consistent.

Maybe god is trying to trick us by planting all kinds of confounding evidence.

Doesn't it make more sense that the earth is billions of years old, and all that other stuff, and that maybe someone's watch/calendar wasn't quite using the same units as we do these days?

All it takes is a little bit of critical thinking. But I realize that critical thinking is actively discouraged by certain groups.

I'll admit that some Christian groups discourage any way of thinking outside of what fits in their little box. I even get some really strange looks in my own church when I open my mouth.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9