dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - My BF keeps asking to borrow money from me

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 pm

Post subject: Re: My BF keeps asking to borrow money from me
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:38 am 

Thanks all. I'm happy that I was able to get the money back, and find a place to live.

It was also a red flag for me that he didn't see it as a priority to pay me back - so I'll keep my eyes open. But I also think that I should have been more direct a long time ago.

If we do make the decision to purchase together in the future, and/or live together - let's just say I learned a lot this time around, and will make sure that we are clear on what each of our contributions will be.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: My BF keeps asking to borrow money from me
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm 

I kind of agree with the others here but maybe I'm not so pessimistic. He did pay you back the first time and has again. That's a big plus that usually does not happen. But he's really got to grow up an stop using you as his bank. If his business needs short term cash flow financing (and most businesses do at times) then he would be far better off going to a real bank, learning to present them a solid business plan, and getting financing that way. Quite frankly, if he wants to borrow money from you again you need to make him do that for you. Make sure he has a solid plan with specific dates for repayment, and collateral. I suspect that will tick him off though.

To save your relationship you probably want to start locking that money away in investments like mutual funds or CDs so that the cash is not enticing him. Just tell him that you (singular) want save for your (plural) future just like he is building a business for your future. If he argues with that then you should be worried.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2