Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Post subject: If a Tree falls on your house, what do you do?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Aside from calling folks and getting it down. AND its the neighbors tree.

Just what I wanted at 4:48 AM.

:roll:

I don't really need any help, just moaning and complaining. I am very tired. Thankfully, only appears to have caused shingle damaged, which is really amazing considering its a 40 foot tall tree.

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Yikes!

One of the reasons we love our property is that it's filled with many mature trees. The previous owners planted trees around the perimeter, and they've filled in over the past forty or fifty years. It makes the place feel secluded and park-like. HOWEVER, we worry about trees falling. Portland can be rainy and windy.

Last year, one of our trees fell into the neighbor's yard. It wasn't big enough to reach their house, thank goodness. I got a very shocking introduction to chainsaws at that time, though.

This winter, another neighbor's tree fell over into the same neighbor's yard in the same spot. Pretty hilarious. (But not for the neighbor who keeps getting smacked.) During the same storm, a house down the road had a HUGE tree go over into a two-story section of living space, gouging a huge hole into the house. Very scary. I hope everyone was okay.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Thankfully, I am renting that house. My fiancee's house, which is hers, was undamaged on the other side of town.

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Who's responsibility is it to pay for the damage?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:58 pm 

Our neighbor planted (maliciously?) a tree by the fire hydrant in front of her house right before she sold it. Two owners later, the tree is huge and drops seeds all over our property as well as buckling the sidewalk. I also suspect that it houses insects that have made their way into our homes. The new owners are nice people and on a budget with four kids so we have even less incentive to report the illegal planting next to a hydrant. It would cost $1000 to remove that illegally located tree and if it falls, it will probably land on our car. We mostly hate it because it litters seeds on our car and front area but the sidewalk buckling and probably insect infestation worries us as well.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:14 pm 

JerichoHill, I live in Texas, One of the little-known joys of Spring are the thunderstorms that form when moisture from the Gulf of Mexico mixes with a front coming down from Colorado. They spawn torrents of rain, hail, and if we're lucky, one or two tornadoes. Lucky me, a tornado whirled through my neighborhood, and did only "slight" damage. A tree limb from a tree on my property came crashing through my roof right over my bedroom. The ceiling wasn't broken, but it did get water damaged. My back fence was flattened, and through one of those strange flukes of tornado-bearing storms, the back half of my roof was trashed by hail. Oddly enough, the front half of the roof was left in pristine condition.

The first call I made was to my insurance company. As strange luck would have it, I had an appointment for a tree service the very next day. I'd made the appointment a week beforehand, to have them come out and do routine tree maintenance - including the very tree that fell on my house. The second call I made was to make sure that they were still coming, and to let them know I had a limb through my roof. The guys were fantastic and after they cut the tree limb out, they tarped the hole in the roof for no extra charge.

The insurance guy called back the next day, I had an adjuster out there within 24 hours, and an authorization for repairs, along with a breakdown of what my deductable would be, as well as what they would cover. It took all of my emergency fund plus a loan from my credit union to pay for it all, but within two weeks I had a new 1/2 roof, repaired attic, new sheetrock in my ceiling, trimmed trees, and a new back fence.

If you are renting, your first call should be to your landlord, so s/he can call on insurance. Even slight damage to the shingles can cause water to get into the attic and cause all kinds of costly damage. Good luck!!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:14 am 
Site Admin

Ding Dong the Tree is Gone

Roof getting repaired today

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill