Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 am

Post subject: Re: Savarel's Goals for 2010
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:44 pm 

I forgot that people don't usually lease old cars, so your car is still pretty new, anyway, so sure, keep it. :)

Kind of sucks now that you know better, though. hee hee.

I've never had an interest in leasing a car, but my parents told me when I was younger that when you lease you have to stay under a certain mileage. My family is a driving family. We definitely put the miles on our cars no matter where we live or what we do. The beauty is that we can pack as much stuff as we want in a car, versus flying..HA!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 am 

Leasing was a terrible idea.

I love taking daytrips or even longer roadtrips. I've had to curtail some of my day trips because of concerns about mileage the last couple of years, which basically means Im paying extra to not be able to do stuff I would have otherwise done.

So to anyone thinking about leasing a new car, dont do it.

Other than that, took the GRE yesterday. Did fantastic on the language part, did about average on the quanitative part. Definitely good enough to meet the minimum standards, which is all I really cared about. Am now playing the waiting game to see if my application is accepted. It should be accepted, I'm just worried about how my classes from my undergrad college translate over. I might have to take some undergrad classes my first semester. We will see.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 pm 

Still waiting on acceptance/rejection from grad school. Took extra time because my undergrad school was slow in submitting transcripts.

Other than that I'm still slowly working toward the elimination of car and student loan debt. Had some minor setbacks as unexpected expenses have take a chunk out of the budget.

Garage door opener broke. Tried to fix it myself, realized Id have to buy potentially a hundred dollars worth of tools to fix it(living in an apartment most of my life I had basically zero tools when I moved into this house, can be frustrating). I finally decided to just call a garage door company and see if they could fix it or install a new one. I really dislike having to call a repairman, but I relented this time. Chalk it up to old age, I guess.

Roof is leaking. I've patched it up a couple of times, but its a problem with one of the attic vents that was never installed properly by the previous owner. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it without tearing up a large section of the roof. Might possibly relent again and call a roofer... grrr...

Been looking around for a better paying job lately, after the salary freeze and layoffs here. Several interviews, one offer, but I turned it down because it wasnt enough money to be worth leaving my current job, which is reasonable secure.

I reallocated alot of my investment funds and have seen much better returns lately, although much of that is better returns marketwide.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm 

Don't forget you still haven't added your wifes' income. Good luck for grad school!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:41 pm 

Boo!

Application was rejected because I am missing two undergrad courses that I have to take before I can be admitted.

I thought there was a chance this might happen, because I went to a small private university, so its not a huge shocker, but its still dissapointing. I'm trying to decide whether I want to continue pursuing this or not. Maybe I can take the two classes at a local community college or something. I will look into my options.

Other than that, still paying down auto and student loan debt. Numbers keep getting smaller, they have to reach zero eventually.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 pm 

Can you register as a special student, take a course for grad school and the classes necessary to get into the program?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:09 pm 

Maybe. I know they have "conditional acceptance" for people missing the prerequisites, but I'm not sure what the requirements are.

I was going to look into it over the weekend but was sidetracked.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 pm 

First post in awhile.

Debt elimination continues, but its been slower than I would have liked. I still have done nothing regarding my car, the lease expires in April. We wont make as much money as we did last year. Side projects have slowed down for me, partly due to a lack of interest and partly due to the bad economy. My wife is not tutoring after school this year. I would estimate this is $200 to $400 a month less than last year. We still spend far less than we earn and stay close to our budget(we have built in cushion money just in case).

I dont think I will reach the goals I had set out for this year. Retirement savings is continuing to grow quickly, making up for lost time. Emergency fund is stil in place, currently at about $11,000.

My wife and I both are having trouble keeping within budget for our personal "allowance". Every month something comes up where I spend an unexpectedly large amount on something. Its very frustrating.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm 

Paid off my car today. Its now totally paid for. Waited until the last moment and then bought out the lease. I now own it outright.

Its a very nice feeling.

I also managed to land a new job, got a nice raise and much better benefits.

Redid the budget without the car payment and with the new income from my new job.

With the car paid, I broke down and signed up for cable tv again. I've been wanting to sign up again for awhile. Only $58 a month, with no contract so I can cancel at any time. I feel strangely guilty for getting cable tv again, like Im wasting money. As JD would say though, its a conscious choice and its worth the money to me. And I can afford it. Even with the cable tv, our wants consume just 15% of our income.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 pm 

Great job on paying off the car. Just make sure you have enough for maintenance and all that good stuff.

If you can swing the cable, enjoy it. You may find that nothing's on tv and you are wasting your $58 a month, but until then, do what makes you happy. :)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

Yeah, I need to be sure to plan for higher amounts repair/maintenance money now that my car is 5 years old. It will still be less than the ~$300/month I was paying.

Saving $100/month into an account for this purpose for now. I really dont know what a good number is, but I cant imagine spending more than $1200 a year on car maintenance for something with less than 100,000 miles.

Still have emergency fund money too if it was ever something disastrous.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm 

Had to wait two hours at the MVD to transfer my car title over. Worth it when I got to see the title with just my name on it, no lien holders, no leasing company.

I thought briefly about framing it. :D

In bigger news, my wife is pregnant. At first I was ecstatic. This is good news. Now Im thinking about all the work Im going to have to do to get the house ready for a baby. Child locks, padlock for the pool gate, bolting furniture to the wall, getting a wall mount for the tv, combining the contents of two bedrooms into one room so the other can be the baby room, etc, etc...

Its ok though, it will keep me busy and hopefully keep me out of trouble with a hormonally challenged wife. :)

Anyways, this will definitely affect our financial picture. I just finished getting our budget straightened after my employment change, too.

Good news is that with the extra money from the new job, and with the car payment gone, we have about $750 a month that is unallocated. I was going to use it to attack my student loan payment, but now maybe its better to save that money for any unexpected baby expenses and for the loss of my wife's income for probably about 3 months(1 month before and 2 months after).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm 

Congratulations!!
Yes, you have lots to think about, but it's all good stuff. ;)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:35 am 

That's awesome! Congrats!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 am 

Congrats!!!

What an exciting time for you!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next