Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Post subject: Fully funded emergency fund!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:23 pm 

I'm motivated by all your success stories, so let me tell you mine. We are a one income family. DH is a mid-level manager in a government job. He doesn't get paid a lot, but it's union. DH has always been a stickler for not going into debt other than the mortgage, so we've never had debt. But we've never been able to save money either. It just trickles through our fingers.

Last year I discovered Gail Vaz-Oxlade's "Till Debt Do Us Part" and realized our real problems were attitude and no goals. So I sat DH down and we started to get a bit more structured about how we handled money.

Then, in August I discovered Dave Ramsey. WELL! That was an experience! I looked at his baby steps and said "What?! At 48 years old I only have four steps covered?!" I decided to get serious. After DH and I listened to the CDs, we set up a zero-based budget and have watched our savings increase by another $600/mth. Meaning we are saving over $1000/mth. now.

Our emergency fund, which sat at a measly $1000 at the beginning of the year, is now at $10,000. We have a cushion of $1000 in our savings account. We have $2000 saved for our daughter's university expenses. We were able to deal with a minor crisis due to a storm this summer...for another $1000. And we still managed two vacations.

We are very happy campers. Next up will be adjusting what we are putting aside for retirement, and how we deal with the children's ongoing university costs.

Meg

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:35 am 

Yay!
That's an awesome feeling. I'm so glad you sat down and figured out a way to increase your savings and it probably didn't have much of an affect on your daily lives. Congratulations!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:41 pm 

That is great!! Congrats!!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm 

That's awesome! Doesn't it feel great to be in control at last?

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator