Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Post subject: Bit by bit...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 am 

I've never been good with money. I've rarely had real debt. The first time I bought a car, the thought of having a loan to pay off made me feel sick. However, I wasn't very good at saving money, and, I was terrible at keeping track of money. I never balanced my checkbook. I'd never let my account get below about $100, because I was afraid that I'd inadvertantly bounce checks.

After I finished Grad School, I paid off close to $1000 in credit card debt. It wasn't much to most people, but, I wasn't making very much at the time. I was still catching up from being unemployed, and, I wasn't making very much money anyway. After that, I started trying to put roughly 25% of my salary away, first in a savings account. I started setting clear goals for myself. My first three goals were to open an IRA, to open a high-yield savings account, and, to put aside enough money to cover 3 months' worth of expenses plus the cost of the item I promised to myself as the "reward" for meeting my goals.

In the midst of all of this, I got engaged. Between my savings, my soon-to-be-husband's savings (he's far better with money than I), and my parents' help, we'll be able to have a nice, not-too-big wedding. Obviously it means my plans and goals have changed a bit. The item I planned on getting as my "reward" for making progress has gone on hold for the time being. A year ago, I wouldn't have had any money to put towards a wedding or anything else though. I'm far happier and less stressed -- despite my current lack of job security. The progress I've made is its own reward.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator