Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:06 pm 

Quote:
I stoped ranting a week ago, All i did was inform the other poster that I was allergic to peanuts.

stopped ranting and started whining? That's not a huge improvement. PB+J was just an example, the fact that the specific sandwich he likes isn't going to work for you is a trivial detail that has NO real impact on whether you can cut your lunch costs, etc, and when that is your only response it comes across as though you are trying to reject the advice altogether. If you are just looking for people to agree that you have it really hard, there are plenty of places where that will happen, but this forum tends to be populated by people who are making an effort to sort themselves out and who are looking for like-minded folk. This is a great place to come for some advice or encouragement in trying to improve your situation, but there's not a lot of sympathy for people who don't seem interested in helping themselves.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am 

kombat wrote:
kmull wrote:
If I don't have a client lunch setup then I grab a banana and 2 things of yogurt at the store. Cost = $1.40 per meal (if you needed more food, add another banana and make it $2). Your cost per week would be $10 = $40 per month.

Are you seriously putting forth a diet consisting solely of bananas and yogurt as a healthy, balanced way to eat?

A healthy diet simply demands more protein, grains, vegetables, and plain old calories than what you just described. I don't believe it's possible for an individual to get all the vitamins, nutrients, and calories they need to eat a healthy diet on $40/month. It simply cannot be done.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm agreeing that it's possible to eat on $40/month, if all you eat is ramen noodles and rice. I'm saying it's not possible to eat a healthy diet on $40/month.

Just saw this -- as others said, I'm not saying to eat that every meal, 100% of the time. This is just something I do when I have a client lunch cancel on me. Just using it as proof that it can be done. As you mentioned, you could easily find other ways to make cheap meals that are also healthy.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 pm 

MOD, plz chang thread tittle to fluffy clouds and rainbows so that I dont sound like such a nancy boy.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:48 pm 

I think 'fluffy clouds and rainbows' would sounds way more nancy (doesn't that mean effeminate?). Your current title sounds more 'emo' to me, but what's wrong with that? ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 pm 

peanutbutter was just a suggestion, not an order. there are plenty of ways to make cheap sandwiches and the point was that bringing your lunches would save you money.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 am 

I feel for you, but you need to think more positively and starting taking action to change your life around.
The first thing you must to do is figure out a way to lower your expenses.
Then you need to find a job that pays well enough for you to live on your own.

My life sucks too, but I try not to complain about it.
I'm 22 and work about 17 hours per week at $11.75 which equals about $700 net per month.
Out of that $700 per month I save at least $200 per month. Right now I have $1,300 in savings and $500 in cash savings. And no CC debt.
Luckily my expenses are low though, I pay my parents $150 rent, and pay about $80 per month in gas. The only other real expense I have
is for basic neccessities like shampoo and toothpaste. My mom did buy me a car for $6K and it works perfectly fine, she also pays my car insurance and health insurance. I have virtually no phone bill because I have no friends so I never use it. I also pay for some of my school expenses at community college.

My financial life is ok, mostly because I don't waste my money and things I don't need, and luckily my mom pays for my car and health insurance. But I utterly hate my job, have absolutely no friends, and am severely depressed. I think about committing suicide once in a while thats how much I hate my life. All I do is go to work, go to school, study at home, watch T.V., read books, and spend time on the computer. But I try not to focus too much on negative thoughts and feeling sorry about myself.

I was expelled from high school but was still able to graduate, why were you forced to get a GED instead? I was able to return to high school after going to an expulsion school for one year.

Also, how in the world did you end up with $650 of credit card debt? You need to be realistic about what you can afford, and ignore what your
friends are buying.

I feel for you that your parents make you pay for so many expenses, but it's probably because they hate their jobs too and work really hard for their money, and feel that you should be old enough to support yourself. But you also need to keep in mind that there are people in way worse situations than you, think of all the homeless people, the children in africa, the factory workers in china making 10 cents an hour, and so on. I think the problem is that you are trying to compare your self to people who have parents that pay for everything and can afford to pay for their college, car, and so on, but you obviously don't have those kind of parents, so don't compare yourself to them!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:34 am 

LDE22,
Please try to get some help with your depression. I've been through depression, and I know how easy it is to feel that you're miserable, failing at everything, and those around you would be better off if you were gone. THEY WOULDN'T BE. My ex-boyfriend killed himself several months ago, and it devastated a lot of people.

Have you tried to schedule an appointment with counseling services at your school? They might be a good resource to check, and you're probably already paying for it through student health fees. If that doesn't work out, keep seeking help until you find what you need. (When my brother dealt with the mental health services at his school, they were so overbooked that all they did was keep trying different antidepressants, none of which helped and may have contributed to his suicide attempt.)

Life sucks sometimes, but you've got the self-discipline to plan for a better future.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:44 am 

E.C. wrote:
LDE22,
Have you tried to schedule an appointment with counseling services at your school? They might be a good resource to check, and you're probably already paying for it through student health fees. If that doesn't work out, keep seeking help until you find what you need. (When my brother dealt with the mental health services at his school, they were so overbooked that all they did was keep trying different antidepressants, none of which helped and may have contributed to his suicide attempt.)

Life sucks sometimes, but you've got the self-discipline to plan for a better future.

A friend of mine had also serious issues with depression when we were in school. Getting mental health services at the trade school we went to wasn't a problem after we had convinced him to go for it. I am sure there is something similar at your school LDE22 - don't be ashamed or afraid to get help. There's nothing wrong with that. Counseling can really help you!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:42 pm 

I have re-done my food budget, and got it to around 230.00 a month, down from north a 450.00. Solution? Buy just about everything from Costco. Really I only eat hard boiled eggs, lean meat, chicken, yogurt, potatoes, oatmeal, orange juice, fruits, go lean cereal, jell-o, salad's and balance bars. You really do save when you buy in bulk and not buying garbage.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:29 am 

My situation isnt all that bad, i can see this now. I was depressed when I started this thread hence the tittle lol. Ive been out of work for about a month now and I love it, my parents hate it but I love it. Im 19 turning 20 in about a month, but I'm still only 19 so they can suck a fat one. Although I'm not looking for a job 24/7 I am looking, something will come along, And when it does I'll be going back to school full time. As for a "ged" i dont have one I have a high school diploma it just dosent have a high school name on it but the counties name. Im not proud of this degree baecuse i constantly feel like a looser everytime I think about it but thats ok, thats motive to get my B.S from a well known school. I now have 11 hundred in the bank and that will continue to grow. I really need to find motivation to get my fat ass up and do something though. I dont know what im going to magor in but i do know im going to go and study 3 things technology, finance, and political science. Those 3 things intrest me the most. My parents sem to be really stressed on my situation but idk why, I think I'm doing just fine, I've got more money in the bank then they do i believe. I should prolly look into selling my car beacuse thats alot of money for me to pe putting out every month i feel but the only problem is i still owe over 8 grand on it...

sorry for the length and poor organization of my post, just typing out my thoughts.

LDE22, feel free to pm me if you want.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Mod here

If you really want the thread name changed, pm me

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 am 

RichBy40 wrote:
Im 19 turning 20 in about a month, but I'm still only 19 so they can suck a fat one.

Wow. Entitlement much?

Your parents do not have to do anything. If they choose to, more power to them.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 am 

Yeah, entitlement and depression. Two qualities that will have employers *scrambling* to hire him.....

Richby40 - your parents are your BEST FRIENDS right now. Treat them with some appreciation, because their tolerance is what's likely to allow you to go back to school, and maybe make a better long-term life for yourself, so that you have a hope in h*ll of being "rich by 40."

I moved out at 17, and went to JC at night while working 35+ hours per week, before I transferred to a top-tier university. I did it with very little help from my parents, and it was HARD. It is probably the thing I'm most proud of, in my life, but it's not a path for everyone.

You need to settle down and start looking HARD for work, and keep in mind - without a college degree, this is likely to be your employment situation for the next 40+ years. And while you're still covered by your parents' insurance - see a doctor. Depression can be helped.

Sandi

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Keep Going
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 pm 
Once you realize that its all on you to change your situation then you will be your own get out of jail free card homey

Post subject: Keep Going
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 pm 
Once you realize that its all on you to change your situation then you will be your own get out of jail free card homey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next