Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:45 am

Post subject: Women empowerment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:30 am 

My mother aged 54, suffers from depression. There is no apparent cause for her to be depressed as all is well in my family. My sister and I are well settled. My father is in great health and has a good job. Early symptoms of depression started showing up about three years back. Sessions with the counselor have not helped much. She has been on anti-depressant drugs for quite sometime now. However, I wish there could be some way out to assist her to regain her enthusiasm for life.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 am 

Paxton, depression is a medical condition resulting from chemical imbalances in the brain. It can be difficult to properly medicate, as most of the current drugs have side affects that kinda suck.

Does she understand that she has a problem?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:03 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'll second the comment that depression can have biochemical as well as situational causes. I do find it interesting that when you talk about all being well in your family, you refer to your father, your sister, and yourself, but not what your mom is doing. Was her primary focus for the past decades taking care of children and being a homemaker? If so, it is understandable that she might feel a bit purposeless now that you are grown.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:32 pm 

I'm sorry to hear what your mom is going through. I agree with other comments here, with that you can suggest to your mother that she begins a gentle exercise program, regular walking or cycling for instance. Exercise has been proven to be better than anti-depressant drugs in many cases.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 am 

She needs to think of something else other than what is depressing her. Reading about depression and self-help would be a best start. Thinking about positives like friends, family, nature, and having a consuming hobby is really great. You can't think of two things at the same time. It's not easy as the same thoughts will keep returning until they fade away.

Just my ideas of what works.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill