Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Post subject: Re: Latest Readings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
Well, engineering is an exciting field, and we engineers are an exciting bunch! It's odd that so many TV shows feature lawyers rather than engineers isn't it.

Lawyering isn't nearly as exciting as the TV shows make it appear. Its a lot of letter writing and going to court to say "Hi judge! We're working on settling this one, can we come back again in 90 days or so?" Three months later "Hi judge! Still working on settling. We think were getting really close. 90 more days?" Rinse and repeat.

I imagine engineering is much more exciting. The technical gibberish just doesn't translate well to the TV viewing masses.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
Ah, so you must be one of those smart finance guys.

Naw, I'm not that smart. I just have an overdeveloped BS detector.

DoingHomework wrote:
Ironically, since you mentioned building airplanes, when I was in senior management I reported directly to our CEO who was a former SVP for the Boeing company. Assuming that's the airplane company you are referring to, I got a good indoctrination to their way of thinking. (Though this was several years ago when, I am told, the Mcdonnell Douglas management philosophy was spreading through the company so things may have changed.)

You are correct in your assumption of both the identity company and the way its mindset has changed over the past 15 years since the merger. However, further common on my part about all this would constitute an indiscretion on my part so I'll have refrain from saying more.

DoingHomework wrote:
I'll tell you from experience, I have a lot more freedom as an engineer/engineering manager than I did in senior management. I also work far fewer hours, travel much less, and get paid about the same. I'll take being an engineer most days!

I do envy you. Having the freedom to apply your skills creatively is a privilege to be valued. If we finance people get too creative, we wind up going to jail. :)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 am 

Started reading The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.

I am annoyed already. :tmi: Books laced with a Christian or any other religious agenda, make me grit my teeth. :puke:

The message is good, the other part, I don't care for.

(This is not in offense to Christians nor religious people.)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:05 pm 

Engineer here. I'd rather watch doctors and lawyers on tv than enginerds any day. :)

As far as reading, Kaitlyn, The Hunger Games series is great. We'll discuss later.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:21 am 

A coworker just introduced me to the books, I know the movie is coming out.

I'd like to join you Peachy & Kaitlyn.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:44 am 

Oooh, the Hunger Games series is good.

I'm currently working through Dance with Dragons. I hadn't read Feast for Crows yet, so it's been a very George RR Martin September. :-)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 am 

Panda wrote:
I'm currently working through Dance with Dragons. I hadn't read Feast for Crows yet, so it's been a very George RR Martin September. :-)

I've been trying to get into this series on the recommendation of my brother, but it starts out incredibly slow. It's taken me a month to get through the first 10% of a Game of Thrones.

Once the plot starts moving, I'm sure I'll burn right through the rest, but it hasn't show a hint of movement yet.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am 

bpgui wrote:
I've been trying to get into this series on the recommendation of my brother, but it starts out incredibly slow. It's taken me a month to get through the first 10% of a Game of Thrones.

Once the plot starts moving, I'm sure I'll burn right through the rest, but it hasn't show a hint of movement yet.

It does start out slow. (And at moments throughout the books becomes slow again.) But there's definitely some good stuff in there once all the characters get set up.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:55 pm 

Just plow ahead, there's so much waiting for you to read further down the line.

I am in the world of Hunger Games and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. So I'll be busy reading those series for a bit, I am a voracious reader (time permitting).

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:35 am 

Fantasma,
I read all of the Hunger games series and the dragon tattoo this summer. I had to stop because of school, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the Dragon Tattoo series. Exciting stuff!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 am 

Slightly Foxed I learned about from another blog, its a magazine for book lovers. I suggest looking it up if your a book worm/lover.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am 

I am currently reading A Clash of Kings. I would agree that the books are slow going - I have been reading since labor day and am about 2/3 of the way through. It's starting to pick up though!

I am also perusing The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Also HIGHLY recommend The Hunger Games and The Girl books, though I thought the furst one was a bit of a bore til the end.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2