Do you follow recipes when you cook?
Yes, as precisely as I can. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
only as a guide 75%  75%  [ 30 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: Re: Cooking tips
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:04 pm 

Bichon Frise wrote:
also with baking, measuring dry ingredients by volume opposed to weight can prove disastrous as well.

That's one thing that always bothers me about recipes that use US-style measurements. Why won't you guys switch to metric like us civilized folks? It's so much less confusing!

"Add 8 oz. chocolate chips."

What is that? Do I need my measuring cup or my kitchen scale? Why can't you just say "1 cup" or "250 grams?"

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:57 pm 

kombat wrote:
That's one thing that always bothers me about recipes that use US-style measurements. Why won't you guys switch to metric like us civilized folks? It's so much less confusing!

"Add 8 oz. chocolate chips."

What is that? Do I need my measuring cup or my kitchen scale? Why can't you just say "1 cup" or "250 grams?"

What recipes are you looking at? Anyways, chocolate chips are measured by weight, so it's clearly one 8oz bag of chocolate chips. And what kind anyways? Semi-sweet?

Also, usually ingredients and instructions are listed separately in my experience, though that's not universal. On the one hand a separate ingredient list helps with "mise en place" (aka getting out all your ingredients before you start). On the other hand, an ingredient list is not copyrightable but a list of instructions is, so inlining the ingredients allows those to be included in the copyright (but doesn't stop somebody from extracting the info.)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 am 

My cooking "trick" is that I have my recipes collected by the core ingredients involved - for instance, recipes built around beans are grouped together, or around say root vegetables. That way, I can buy a large amount of that item when it is on sale, and only a few supplementary items to put together a meal plan for a week.

This week was a bean week. So yesterday I bought 2 lbs of dried pinto beans, 1 lbs of dried kidney beans and 1 lbs of dried white beans. I soaked them all day yesterday, and now they are cooking in my three pot crockpot.

When I get home, I'll start on today's recipe - 5 bean salad. It includes canned green beans and wax beans along with the three beans listed, as well as shredded cabbage and a few herbs, vinegar and sugar. After dinner, I'll take about a third of the remaining pinto beans and make refried beans. Tomorrow we'll have tacos (using beans, rice, shredded cabbage, salsa and cheese). Then the next day I'm making a bean curry in a loosely indian style using some of the herbs from the salad and a can of coconut milk. Served over rice (left over from taco night).

You get the idea :) It saves both in money and cooking time. And it is quite possible to keep it interesting this way. I often will do the same thing with items that are hard to buy in small quantities - like kale or cilantro.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2