Women empowerment

There's more to wealth than money. Health and happiness are important, too.
This is the place to discuss organization, self-improvement, and success strategies.

Moderator: lvergon

Paxton

Women empowerment

Postby Paxton » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:30 am

My mother aged 54, suffers from depression. There is no apparent cause for her to be depressed as all is well in my family. My sister and I are well settled. My father is in great health and has a good job. Early symptoms of depression started showing up about three years back. Sessions with the counselor have not helped much. She has been on anti-depressant drugs for quite sometime now. However, I wish there could be some way out to assist her to regain her enthusiasm for life.

dtr

Postby dtr » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 am

Paxton, depression is a medical condition resulting from chemical imbalances in the brain. It can be difficult to properly medicate, as most of the current drugs have side affects that kinda suck.

Does she understand that she has a problem?
DTR

E.C.

Postby E.C. » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'll second the comment that depression can have biochemical as well as situational causes. I do find it interesting that when you talk about all being well in your family, you refer to your father, your sister, and yourself, but not what your mom is doing. Was her primary focus for the past decades taking care of children and being a homemaker? If so, it is understandable that she might feel a bit purposeless now that you are grown.
One slightly geeky physics major attempts to survive life in the real world.
http://notlivingonramen.blogspot.com

cynthia09

Postby cynthia09 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear what your mom is going through. I agree with other comments here, with that you can suggest to your mother that she begins a gentle exercise program, regular walking or cycling for instance. Exercise has been proven to be better than anti-depressant drugs in many cases.

Sr Ken

Postby Sr Ken » Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 am

She needs to think of something else other than what is depressing her. Reading about depression and self-help would be a best start. Thinking about positives like friends, family, nature, and having a consuming hobby is really great. You can't think of two things at the same time. It's not easy as the same thoughts will keep returning until they fade away.

Just my ideas of what works.

Return to “Personal Development”