An AskMetafilter user wonders:
What’s your favorite healthy food that can be bought on a college student budget? I’ve decided that I’m really going to crack down on my poor eating habits. As a college student, I’ve always bought the food that was the most affordable. Unfortunately, this is usually generic-brand pizza, toaster streudels, and whichever soda is on sale. In order to combat this, I’m looking for suggestions for healthy, easy-to-prepare foods that won’t break the bank.
There are some great answers here, such as:
- A cup of rice and a vegetarian stir-fry
- Replace soda with water
- Pasta primavera
- Cheese and crackers
- Beans (flavored with a little meat)
- Fruits and vegetables
Learning to eat (and prepare) more meals at home is an excellent way to reduce your food budget and eat healthfully. Find a source of recipes that you trust and learn to prepare them. (Here’s a good online recipe page that features many cheap and healthy meals.)
If you’re looking for healthy food on a small budget, then fruits and vegetables and other whole foods are the way to go. They’re the basic building blocks of a nutritious diet, and they’re much cheaper than processed foods.
Similar questions have been asked several times before at AskMetafilter:
- I want to eat more healthy foods. I have a very small food budget. Any ideas?
- What do you think is the cheapest, healthiest, tastiest, easiest meal to prepare?
- I need suggestions on high energy food that’s cheap, doesn’t need to be refrigerated, and tastes good (if such a thing exists).
- What’s the simplest, cheapest yet most complete diet available?
- I want to bring lunch to work because I am 1) trying to lose weight and 2) save money. Any ideas for what’s both healthy and easy?
- I am looking for unique ideas for making quick, easy, heathy, inexpensive dinners (in my case, for two) every night… or at least most nights. “Dinner Hacks” you might say.
GRS is committed to helping our readers save and achieve your financial goals.Savings interest rates may be low, but that’s all the more reason to shop for the best rate.Find the highest savings interest rate from Ally Bank, Capital One 360, Everbank, and more.
SEARCH FOR RECENT ARTICLES